• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blocking Flash Player is an insane decision.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

As a software developer, i would like to share my experience and my opinion with you.

First of all, every product is going to reach it's End-Of-Life date, one day or another.
This is the classic Lifecycle or every product on the market, and we are all aware of such things.

What you just did, is blocking your own software and killing a lot of application of people that put their trust on your company, in an unilaterally way.
They trusted in you ,they bought licences (IE: Flash Builder), spent a lot of time to learn from your own documentation, spent a lot of money on Research and Developement using your technologies and products.
You owe them some respect, and at least, their voices must be heard, and not skipped with a single argument like "Security Reasons" or "Deprecation Known since 2017".

To be fair, you just crossed the point of no return.
With such managments, No one is going to trust on your technologies anymore.
You were a big part of tech in the old days, people talked about Adobe in a good way (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, InDesign, etc ...).
Today you decided to kill yourself on purpose, and to kill a lot of companies that were selling products based on Flash.

I personnaly know some people using AIR and Flex Applications.
These technologies were on their stack, and they built all their mains applications with Flex and AIR.
Now, you unilaterally decided to let them down. You unilaterally decided to kill theses companies. This is sincelerly not acceptable.
You should be ashamed for this. You should be blamed for this. And you should be condamned for this on a trial. I mean it.

Then, as you know, a lot of unsupported applications are still used, and by a lot of people.
You can take the example of old Windows versions (95, 98, 2000, XP, 7, etc..), or old Servers (Old revisions of IIS, Tomcat, ApacheHTTP,etc...).
The companies that own theses apps (IE: Microsoft, Oracle, ...) are sharing their concerns about these old applications, but will never block them on purpose for their clients.

Today, with all the Flash community, We are sincerely asking you to remove all the Timebombs included in your softwares.
People will continue to use Flash at their own risks, and they are aware of it's deprecation.

Thank you for reading me, and for your time.
This topic is serious, and we are talking about companies in distress.
Then, I would like to receive an honest answer, and not another "Security Reasons" or "Deprecation since 2017" stuff like you did to all your customers on this forum.

Maati.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Thanks for your feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not just tell me something like "Thanks for your feedback."

It sounds like a "We dont care about your post"' and this is not professional.

We are looking for a decent solution instead of an immediate block of Flash Player.

A lot of people are relyiong o nyou at the moment.

A lot of business are in peril.

You got to unblock it as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unblocking of Flash Player won't happen.  All the major browser vendors have and will continue to disable Flash Player from running after the EOL Date.  See this link:

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/enterprise-end-of-life.html

Who in your organization was responsible for ensuring that your systems would work after the Flash Player EOL?  I ask because 3-1/2 years of advanced notice should have been more than ample lead time.  If not, your organization could have consulted a 3rd party like HARMAN to help you.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some applications we built in the past are still using Flash.

Moreover, we spent around 1 Million USD on our main App, and considering the Building time, the TPM , the MOC and the MRO I would say that it will require more than 5 years to migrate it entirely, and WITHOUT adding new features in the meantime (which obviously, is impossible).

We are considering about Harman ofc, but the price they are asking is huge, and cannot be spent by our services for all our Flash Applications.

Then, we are trying some workaround, like Electron-based App with an embedded Browser containing the OLD flash player versions.

Some customers already said on this forum that 3.5 years is "nothing" in a company roadmap, and its not even close to be the timing required to migrate our Applications in a decent way. And I agree with them.

We would need at least 10 years to migrate our of Flash considering our R&D, our updates, our pending new features to keep our clients with us, etc ....

The fact I am relating above are concerning more than my little person.

One last thing, because you have to be aware of it.

The Dev community is huge and nowadays, a lot of technologies are available.

If you do not want to help your customers, we will stop using not only Flash, but all of your technologies.

There are strong alternatives today of Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator, InDEsign and stuff.

You are actually showing the world the you are NOT a reliable company, and that you definitely crossed the line for all of us.

The MINIMAL respectful move from your part, would have been to give Flash and all its component as an OpenSource GitHub project, instead of destroying it on purpose.

Best Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you do not want to help your customers, we will stop using not only Flash, but all of your technologies."

==============

You're preaching to the choir here. This is mainly a product user-to-user forum with some Adobe staff participation.  Adobe's product engineers and decision makers DO NOT lurk here.  

I'm very sorry you feel the way you do.  3-1/2 years might not seem like much lead time to you but it's an unprecedented amount for a FREE browser plugin that the industry was phasing out anyway for security reasons.  No other browser plugin / player in history has given users, developers, programmers and IT experts that much lead time before. 

An unsupported player plugin with no further security patches is a liability.  Adobe knows it and that's why they can't allow people to keep using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pardon my ignorance but looking at these adobe product listsi have no clue what the application to replace flash player are if any....plus there are payment options/links on every single page.is this a ploy to get us to pay for this sort of product from now on? kinda looks that way to me....so guys can i ask u....wtf do u do just keep flash and enable as/when required? thanks ....Ian Soave 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ian5C10,

For average users, there is no Flash Player replacement available. 

Enterprise solutions are for large companies with significantly greater than average needs and big, big budgets to support them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIR has not been blocked. I have written an application in AIR and Flex and it is working fine, except in a couple of places where swf objects are embedded in to html. Native windows with swf in them are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines