• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

broken link for installing flashplayer for debian/ubuntu

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone to this link to get Adobe FlashPlayer 28 for Debian/Ubuntu:  Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

After selecting Linux (32-bit) as the OS in Step 1, Step 2 provides 4 options in the drop down list, of which the first is: FP 28.0 for Ubuntu (apt)

But then, attempting to download error (which does not happen if I chose instead the tar.gz version):

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at apt:adobe-flashplugin?channel=$distro-partner might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

You're welcome.  Looks like Canonical has updated the package since I posted the screenshot.

I forgot to mention, the package installs both NPAPI plugin (for Firefox) and the PPAPI plugin (for Chromium-based browsers).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Linux distro, including version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

debian testing distribution with kernel:

linux-image-4.7.0-1-686-pae    4.7.6-1

I used the install for all versions link because in chromium the adobe download link only shows the tar.gz versions.

In firefox (on the same computer, of course) it shows all the versions, including the one with the debian/ubuntu packaging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is my understanding that Debian doesn't support the apt-url protocol (what's used on that page), which is the reason for the error.  I'll need to follow-up with the folks that maintain the get.adobe.com/flashplayer page to modify the wording.

The apt option is available on the get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions as the page doesn't distinguish between different distros just 32-bit or 64-bit versions, however, it clearly states it's for Ubuntu (apt), not Debian.

I would recommend using the tar.gz file to install Flash Player on Debian.

<edit: fixed typo>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already installed flashplayer from the tar archive for chromium-based browsers but  wanted the deb package so this could be updated automatically from a repository, whenever I do a normal apt-get update.

I tried this both from firefox and vivaldi (a chromium-based browser). Vivaldi brings up an xdg-open dialog to get the file but that still complains it wasn't found.

Ubuntu packaging is the same as debian and I have had no problem including an ubuntu repository to get selected packages not available on debian, such as chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra) using the normal apt-get from debian. In this vein, it's worth noting that on the  Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions   ,

when run on firefox, the first option clearly says "APT for Debian/Ubuntu".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Ubuntu packaging is the same as debian"

The following indicate Debian doesn't support apturl

Debian's page on installing Flash Player in Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

The package is downloading fine on Ubuntu, indicating there isn't an issue with the URL itself.  The error message in your original post also seems to indicate the system isn't aware of the URL scheme (ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME) being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not explain why on the  Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions   ,

Is there a link to download a copy of the .deb package file and then install it locally using dpkg or apt-get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not explain why on the  Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions   ,

You are correct and I have escalated this to have the text fixed.  Unfortunately, at this time, I don't have an estimatewhen it will be fixed.

We do not offer a .deb package on adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

> We do not offer a .deb package on adobe.com.

Any software package for Ubuntu or Debian is a .deb package. Apt is only the front end to fetch it and install it locally, so I believe the APT option on your site will cause a .deb to be installed. It would be nice to break the download/install into separate steps, so one could just download without installing until making further checks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not host the .deb package.  It's hosted by Canonical for Ubuntu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, almost there: do you know the name of the package?

With the name I would be able to install it like other packages I use from ubuntu, like the ffmpeg proprietary codecs.

The last adobe-flashplugin package I see is from May, 2016:

=> apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin

adobe-flashplugin:

Version table:

1:20160512.1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 -1

100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the package name is adobe-flashplugin

Version 28.0.0.161 was released on Tuesday (07-Feb), but it looks like Canonical hasn't updated the package as it's still installing 28.0.0.137, from the January release.  I am seeing the January package when I run the same command on my Ubuntu 16.0.4.1 and 14.04.1 test systems:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Maria!  This is a better way than manually copying the files from the tar archive.

I had forgotten to add

```

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic      partner

```

Now I get these all:

```

apt-cache policy adobe*

adobe-flash-properties:

Installed: (none)

Candidate: (none)

Version table:

adobereader-en:

Candidate: (none)

Version table:

adobe-flash-properties-gtk:

Candidate: 1:20180206.1-0ubuntu1

Version table:

1:20180206.1-0ubuntu1 500

500 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic/partner i386 Packages

adobe-flash-properties-kde:

Version table:

adobe-flashplugin:

Version table:

1:20160512.1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 -1

100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

```

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.  Looks like Canonical has updated the package since I posted the screenshot.

I forgot to mention, the package installs both NPAPI plugin (for Firefox) and the PPAPI plugin (for Chromium-based browsers).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines