Copied

Windows 7 64 bit

MS Internet Explorer 11.0.9600

Flash Player 26.0.0.131

Shockwave Flash Object 32 and 64 bit is enabled

All other add-ins are disabled

Dell XPS8400 Desktop i7

24 GB memory

The jerky performance and screen freezing is most noticeable on websites with lots of content like msnbc.com and foxnews.com. A game site called bridgebase.com eventually crashes leaving a screen with an I in a circle in the middle. That site says it is a problem with Flash Player and IE and suggests changing to Chrome, but that is not an answer to me.

I have followed the suggestions at Adobe by clearing the /Adobe and /Macromedia caches. I have unchecked the hardware accelerator box. I have deleted all Browsing Data and Settings in Flash Player Settings Manager. Storage in set to Allow sites to save information on this computer. Playback is set to Ask me when a site wants to use peer-assisted networking, but I am never asked. My Control Panel shows Flash Player (32-bit) even though the add-on screen in IE shows it as both 32 and 64. I have tried deleting Flash Player and reinstalling. All of this has been to no good.

Help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux Mint  64bit

On a quad core build of my own

no separate graphics card (issues with flash, who'da thunk)

the latest Flash (or so your browser test says it is)

I have a similar issue as the one above with a few variations.

I just installed the latest Flash yesterday because my game site had an 'update flash' screen on it. The day before flash was working well enough.

I have the blocky movement constantly, to the point of making my game almost unplayable.

My scroll wheel no longer controls aspects of the game.

Many of the text entry pop-ups do not function or function poorly. I can no longer click exactly where I want to in the text boxes. If there are multiple text boxes the click-ability decreases with each box. I can no longer copy text from a text box.

I have not yet had a game crash, but the above problems are totally unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browser are we talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The grey circle icon is the Out Of Memory icon.  Flash Player has attempted to allocate memory and the system didn't have any, or didn't have any in a sufficiently-sized contiguous block (i.e. unfragmented memory).

The bitness of Flash Player is going to correspond to the host browser.  This is most likely 32-bit, unless you've got to lengths to install a 64-bit version of Internet Explorer (it's generally 32-bit, even on 64-bit systems).  This means that we're limited to 2GB of RAM for the browser and/or Flash (I'm pretty sure we're running in the browser process on Win7 IE, so it's a shared pool of 2GB).  I imagine that the performance issue is related to the system swapping memory to disk -- the disk is about 200K times slower than RAM, so disk trash is a pretty good precursor for terrible performance.

Chrome would be 64-bit by default, which gives you full use of the available system memory, and Flash Player runs out of process.  Similarly, you could try out 64-bit Internet Explorer to see if that alleviates your symptoms.  The big difference there is that Google is actively investing in Chrome.  Internet Explorer is not an area of focus or development for Microsoft.  All of the new energy is devoted to Edge on Win10, and IE persists as a legacy product to support enterprise customers unwilling to migrate.  So, it might not be an answer as far as you're concerned, but there are solid reasons for recommending it.

I don't think uninstalling and reinstalling the same bits is going to get you any kind of magically better outcome.  Furthermore, the performance issues are going to have a lot to do with the specific content (Flash is a language runtime, much like java.  We interpret compiled bytecode and perform platform-agnostic operations like rendering and storage.  Conceptually and in practice, we're much closer to an operating system than a video player / video game emulator.  That means that it's possible (and common) to write really inefficient code (especially where video and advertising is concerned), and that running lots of concurrent tabs and windows means that you have a lot of separate instances of Flash competing concurrently for a finite pool of resources.

Long story short, modern browsers (Chrome, Edge) do a lot to stop or pause tabs that aren't visible, which addresses some of those resource contention problems under the banner of "Power Saving" and older browser's don't.  If you're preference is for an older browser, that's totally cool -- but you're accepting those underlying limitations.  If you want to run a dozen tabs concurrently, a newer browser is tuned for that, whereas older browsers really pioneered the idea of multiple concurrent windows and ultimately tabs, but the support there is pretty primitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you jeromiec for the extended and detailed answer. I have started Internet Explorer from both the Program Files folder and the Program Files (x86) folder without difference, if there was to be one at all. I don't know how to tell if the IE browser is 32 or 64 bit

All what you said fits together except, my XPS8400 i7 24 GB ram is about 4 years old. The applications I am having trouble with are not new and I did not have trouble with them until a few months ago. And I have used multiple tabs a lot.  It is like something has changed. Why the sudden problem? Could it be that a new version of Flash and IE 11 are conflicting? Should I try to find a 32 bit only version of Flash instead of the 32/64 that shows in my add-in's list?

Also, in my add-in list Shockwave Flash Object dated 2017 is enabled but there are two Shockwave Active X add-ins dated 2014 that are disabled. I don't see them in my Control Panel>>Programs and Features list. Might they have something to do with it? And 2014 is pretty old.

Any more help? Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'll need to explicitly download and install 64-bit IE11 for Windows 7 if you want to use it:

Download Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines