• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I install the Flash Player for IE on Windows 10 via the Flash Player installer?

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team,

I have downloaded a standalone installer for the latest version of Adobe Flash Player for IE.

But I can't process to install it on my computer (Window 10) and the following reminder displayed to me on a web page.

"We provide PPAPI and NPAPI version of Flash Player for Windows 8/10 users (Windows 8/10 system comes with ActiveX version of Flash Player, please check "Windows Update Settings" if you need to install the update)"

May I know Windows Update Settings is the only place to install/update the Flash Player for IE on Windows 10?

TOPICS
Browser

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020
Yes, since Flash Player will be end of life by the end of 2020 but we have a product based on Flash that is still in use by many customers, we have to find a way to keep our product alive after 2020.

If you need assistance with your product post-2020, please contact Adobe's official distribution licensing partner Harman for assistance identifying a solution.

For more information, see https://theblog.adobe.com/update-for-enterprise-adobe-flash-player/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, Edge and IE on windows 10 manage Flash directly from the windows update system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always installed (in Windows 10). It cannot be removed. You cannot change it because it's part of the system, and protected. You can only use Microsoft's updates. Do you face a problem that leads you to believe you must download from Adobe instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replay.

Yes, since Flash Player will be end of life by the end of 2020 but we have a product based on Flash that is still in use by many customers, we have to find a way to keep our product alive after 2020.

So the purpose of asking this question is to check if archiving the Flash Player installers can be an available solution for us in case the ability to run Flash on Windows is being removed through Windows Updates in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Archiving the Flash Player installers will not be a COMPLIANT ("legal") solution, because Adobe will not renew your redistribution license. Therefore you will not be able to use this archive copy to install for any staff member or customer. I see a lot of efforts to find a loophole. Adobe have said that corporates who have a need to support Flash Player for a transition period will need to talk to Harman about (paid for) licensing after EOL. Keeping your product alive may prove very expensive.

If we ignore the legal aspects (which I don't usually do, but let's talk about it), Microsoft have said that Flash Player support will be removed from IE after the EOL date. I think we can assume that means that it will be blocked by Windows update, and that just using an old Flash Player installer is not going to overcome this block in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you need assistance with your product post-2020, please contact Adobe's official distribution licensing partner Harman for assistance identifying a solution.

For more information, see https://theblog.adobe.com/update-for-enterprise-adobe-flash-player/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"May I know Windows Update Settings is the only place to install/update the Flash Player for IE on Windows 10?"

Flash Player ActiveX Control has been embedded in IE since the Windows 8 releaes and in Edge since Windows 10 release.  This isn't something new or recent.

The only way to update the embedded version is via Windows Update.  If you're experiencing difficulty updating Flash Player ActiveX for IE/Edge, please contact Microsoft for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines