• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can not update Flash with Adobe Download Manager

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit) on a Lenovo P50 Laptop.  I originally installed Flashplayer here with out any issues.  I am at Flashplayer 32.0.0.142 (NPAPI) used with Mozilla Firefox (current).

I receive an alert to update Flash.  I download the file without any issues (flashplayer32.xa.instrall.exe).  This gets saved into my downloads directory.  When I try to execute this file, I get the prompt from Windows asking if I want to allow Adobe.. etc. and I click yes.

At that point, the rectangular "box" for Adobe Download Manager comes up .. but it remains BLANK.  Nothing further happens.  Eventually, I just "x" it out..  However, sometmes, I actually get a message from Windows that there is a problem with the program (i.e., with Adobe Download Manager) and to please cancel it.  Other times, I have received a message from Windows stating that there is a problem with the program and Windows will attempt to restart it.  In all instances, I end up with the "blank rectangle"...  I am including here a picture of what I end up with.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Note: I have tried to run the "install file" both when the Firefox browser was "up" as well as when it was "off" and the result was the same.  This is the only laptop that I have ever seen this happen with.  Suggestions?

Thank you.

2020-03-24_7-30-40.jpg

TOPICS
How to , Update

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a follow-up.  I saw someone who had a SIMILAR issue in Windows 7.  The response there was to right click on the downloaded file and access the "properties" and "unblock" a setting.  I tried this on my laptop and was able to access the "properties" but did not find the specific item to "unblock"... So, I am still "stuck"....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What URL did you download this from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded from : https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/update/plugin/

I was directed there by the "pop-up notification" that I had to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also posting the "properties" for the latest download file that I brought down (there is a number in parenthesis because I have tried numerous times to download and update -- each time with a failure):

2020-03-30_7-43-02.jpg

2020-03-30_7-43-30.jpg

2020-03-30_7-44-00.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the offline installer posted at the bottom of the https://helpx.adobe.com/in/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html page, in the 'Still having problems' section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I originally went to that section but it was labeled for Windows 7 and earlier.  I am running Windows 10 Professional (64 bit).  It is not obvious that my issue would be addressed there.  Can you confirm that this is also for Windows 10?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK -- I downloaded that installer, closed Firefox, and ran the Installer.  I then went to the Adobe site where I can verify that Firfox is isntalled.  However, how do I test to see if I have th latest version?  Also, if this "works" for windows 10, shouldn't that site be updated

to indicate that?  thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to the Adobe "Help"" site for Flash Player and -- according to that site, I ahve the latest version now installed.  Thank you for your help (though I would REALLY like to know why I had to sue this "off-line installer" rahter than the "regular" installer...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why the online installer didn't work.  You indicated the solution we have for the blank installer window didn't work for you, as an alternative, I recommended the offline installer.

I agree, the page title is misleading.  It mainly refers to the AciveX Control which Microsoft embeds in IE (Win8/10) and Edge (Win10).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the follow-up.  A few comments:

1. PLEASE consider changing the title on that page to includw Windows 10.  Had I known that, I coudl have saved a lot of time by using that option much sooner.

2. The solution of "revising" the "properties" did not work for me since in Windows 10, there was no such option to revise in the "properties" for the downloaded file.  Perhaps. there is something "hidden".

3. The solution provided here was FAR better than the "assistance" that I received when I accessed the Adobe "help" via "chat".  I feel that I wasted a lot of time with someone who was jsut stumbling around while YOU (wonderful lady!) were able to provide a pretty direct solution.  Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am amazed that Adobe Chat tried to help at all. They are supposed to refuse, as with all free products. That might have helped you more in this case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm not sure why the 'unblock' option was not visible for you in Windows 10.  I primarily use Windows 10 and don't recall 'unblock' not being an option.

For point #3 - Adobe doesn't provide customer support (phone, chat, etc) for free products, as with Test_Screen_Name, I'm surprised they attempted to help instead of sending you directly to the community forums.

I'm glad everything has been resolved and you're able to view Flash content now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for your assistance... 

1. Perhaps, there is some sort of defect here if the "unblock" could not be seen.  That is why I included screen shots of my "properties" for the file(s) that I downloaded.

2. Yes -- it would certainly have been helpful if I would have been directed to the Forum -- where you were so knd as to guide me.

I am a bit curious if I will ALWAYS have to use the "offline installer" from now on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The 'unblock' option is a Windows security feature.  One cause of it displaying is if the file is moved from one computer to another (when the unblock checkbox it's accompanied by text stating 'The file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer'), however, we've received reports of user's not seeing the unblock option even if the file was not moved from one computer to another.  You can perform an internet search for something like 'file properties unblock button missing windows 10' and find out more about this feature.

It's difficult, at best, to say if you'll need to use the offline installer in the future, or not.

One option available is to use the Background Update feature to have Flash Player update Flash Player NPAPI plugin silently in the background without user iteraction (similar to how Chrome & Firefox auto-update in the background).  When this feature is enabled, Flash Player pings Adobe servers once per day to see if there's an update available.  If an update is available it's downloaded and installed silently in the background.  This ensures Flash Player is updated within 24 hours of a new version being available.

To enable Flash Player Background Updates on Windows, launch the Flash Player Settings Manager (Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Flash Player), go to the Updates tab and select 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)'.  This will only update non-embedded versions of Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines