• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't download Flash installer exe file

Explorer ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched and this question seems to be bandied around but rarely answered.

I'm having a problem downloading exe files, in particular the Adobe Flash Installer. I've tried using IE9 and Firefox 21.

I'm running Vista Business on a laptop, all Windows and Java files are up to date, Java enabled.

IE9 gives me a bar at the bottom saying the file contained a virus and was deleted, when I click 'Learn More' the window says 'Topic not found'.

Firefox shows that the download was completed but nothing appears in the specified directory, and no red 'x' in the download window.

I've run scans with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro, and scanned with my antivirus AVG. I've also tried temporarily turning off AVG.

It seems there was an offline installer supplied at one time but this seems to have been removed by Adobe. That still wouldn't solve the base problem.

I uninstalled the older version 10 so now I have no Flash at all. Would appreciate some help before I return to factory settings and have to re-install everything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading the offline installers from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_hea... (under the heading Progress bar hangs...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that, same result. After about 1 second (too quick for a 16mb file) it says download completed but no file appears in directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to right-click on the link, then select Save target as... - this should allow you to specify the target folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2013 Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea Pat but same result. It did seem to download the 16mb file this time with the small progress bar taking about 6 seconds, but the file still doesn't show. This seems to show that the file arrives but is scanned and deleted, although I've checked AVG and it isn't set to stop exe files as far as I can see. I've even tried changing the name and downloading as install.tmp with Save as Type: set to All Files (*) but something must scan the file header.

I've found there are several malware type programs around which allow you to install Flash Player whilst bugging your machine with other crap. These may be there because of a known issue such as mine, feeding off it as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have and idea, is it sound? If someone could download the installer for me and put it in a RAR file or something, then upload it to Google Drive. It may have to be password protected to stop the file being scanned. Is this feasible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have compressed the two installers into a ZIP file, using your display name as a password.

I've sent you an email with the download details.  You may need to login with your Adobe ID to download the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catch 22 Pat, I can't sign in to Workspace unless I have Flash installed, message is:

You don’t have the latest version of the Adobe® Flash Player. You must install it to use Adobe® Acrobat.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that if I right click the .msi link above with my window shrunk and to the right a bit I can see the file downloading to the desktop but as soon as the download finishes the file disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for that; you are right - Acrobat.com is Flash-based.

Uploaded it to Google Drive (your original suggestion); you should get a notification message soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Pat, have to say many thanks for all your effort, although even this route was thwarted, 'it' must of read the zip file and therefore deleted it in the same way. But... ...whilst visiting my bank website it asked me to install Flash Player, when I clicked yes it installed the player automatically via Adobe, problem solved for now.

Thanks again for your help, Pete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some problems resolve themselves in the most unexpected way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think it is AVG that is preventing the downloads?  I have AVG 2013 (free) on several machines, where I had no problems downloading the FP installers.

Let's try one more thing; if that doesn't work I will create a ZIP file for you.

Try downloading the MSI installers

for Internet Explorer: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_...

for other browsers: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_plugin....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines