• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install Flash update on Windows xp...installer fails

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Successful download of update file from Adobe update site....but when double clicking the .exe installer I get  dialog box saying that Adobe Download Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close.

This is an old Dell computer running Win XP (sp3)....browser is FF 52.9 esr (32 bit)...current flash installed is 18. Yeah...bringing an old machine back to life. Trying

Obtained this error signature from the dialog box... AppVer 2.0.0.332  ModName shlwapi.dll   ModVer 6.0.2900.5912   Offset 00006fd3

I've tried this update several times with no luck. I also tried offline.... the the installer launched a dialog box / window, but did nothing..

Any ideas on how to get the update to install?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please try going through the workaround mentioned in the below FAQs:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  OK.... I do not have Realplayer on my machine....but once did. It was uninstalled years ago. I did a search and found just a few items related to that application left behind and removed them. Tried to update Flash again and the installer still hangs. The down loader app sure seems to be having a conflict with something on my computer. I checked the task manager to see if anything related to Realplayer was popping up in the list of processes while attempting a fresh download of the latest Flash but nothing suspicious showed. 

I currently have Flash 18 and I think it is working.... but it is seriously out of date and obviously vulnerable. The current version for my Firefox is Flash 32.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the installer at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows page in "Still having problems' section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove all traces of Flash on your computer via add/remove applications control panel,

then reboot and install the new Flash version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also which installer hangs, PPAPI, NPAPI or active X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NPAPI, Robert.  Thank you for your suggestion.  didn't have to remove the old version.  Downloading the installer by itself did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SUCCESS !!   Downloading the installer by itself (is it an older version?) did the trick. Thank you very much !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Honestly, it's long past time to let WinXP die, and if you really want to run it for nostalgic joy, just don't connect it to the Internet. 

The cryptographic facilities that underpin everything related to "The thing you downloaded is authentic and not modified" and "the person/server you're talking to is who you think they are" are broken.  Anything that supports WinXP has to degrade security for all other users to accommodate it, and all of those cryptographic techniques have been replaced by modern cryptographic standards. 

Our online installers are failing because something in that cryptographic validation chain isn't working.  They should work on WinXP SP3 (it's the only version that supports SHA-2), but even then, you're way better off upgrading to Windows 7, and it will probably run fine.

WinXP doesn't get security updates.  There are most likely latent security bugs that will never be fixed (and the people spending money to find them are probably not interested in disclosing them for altruistic purposes), and there's a great chance that an automated crawler found and silently compromised the machine an hour after you plugged it in.  If it happens regularly for obscure industrial control systems, just take a second and do that math for the size of the WinXP population.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines