• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you get a virus from just running flash player in Google Chrome?

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a lot of articles talking about Flash being easy to hack. I can't tell if they are referring to installing fake versions of Flash, or the real flash player. If I were to run a real version of Flash using Google Chrome, would I be likely to get a virus from it, if I were to come across a sketchy site?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe fix all known attacks for Flash quickly. But hackers are working hard to find new attacks, and one day they may succeed, with Flash as with Chrome itself, with Windows or Mac OS. All of these products are continually finding and fixing security holes.

It is MUCH easier to just offer fake downloads of Flash and other software to the unwary, though. This is happening non-stop.

See also Zero Day Explolit: Zero-day (computing) - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Flash for chrome, but I think I have normal flash installed too. If I use the "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager" to install, will I still be able to use the chrome version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in 2019 it's not as easy as it was before to carry a virus with Flash. Btw you can get a virus with javascript and html5 without any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with other commenters, I'm not sure what you mean by 'normal Flash' and 'real version of Flash'

If you're referring to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Flash Player Install Manager.app, then running this utility will actually uninstall the non-embedded Flash Player plugins installed on the system.  It will not uninstall Chrome's embedded Flash Player PPAPI plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled the MacOS version. Now I just have the Chrome version. Would I be significantly more likely to get a virus with that than without it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The embedded PPAPI plugin & the non-embedded PPAPI plugin are the same plugin.  We hand-off the plugin to Google and they embed it into Chrome.

If Chrome is the only PPAPI-based browser, the recommendation is to only use the embedded PPAPI plugin.  Installing the PPAPI plugin separately when there is no need to results in you having to ensure its updated when a new version is available.  Whereas, Google automatically updates the embedded PPAPI plugin when a new version is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "normal Flash"? Flash does also come with Windows 10 because it is part of Internet Explorer and Edge browsers, and with recent versions of Mac OS because it is part of Safari. Why do you want to run "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager" specifically on your (I assume) Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines