Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot find a way to dowload flash on a Win10/IE11 PC

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a Windows 10 PC that is running IE11 (Version 11.1593.14393.0). Edge is disabled (by company policy).

Whenever I visit a page that has some Flash content, I get an error message like this:

This application requires the Adobe Flash Player version http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash/.{1}.{2} or higher. To download the latest version please visit www.adobe.com/go/getflash.

However, when I click on the link I get redirected to a page that tells me the following:

Flash Player is integrated with Internet Explorer in Windows 10.

You do not need to install Flash Player.

(this is the page: Flash Player Issues | Windows 10 | Internet Explorer )

I then test Flash Player on the page and get this error:

Either Flash Player is disabled or ActiveX Filter is ON.

Please follow trouble shooting steps to play Flash content.

I tried to follow the troubleshooting steps but they don't work:

1. I cannot enable Flash Player because, when I go to the add-ons, the "Shockwave Flash Object" is not there to be enabled.
  2. Active filtering is already OFF for all pages, including the one that throws the Flash player exception

How do I fix this? I don't seem to be able to find any direct download link to download and install the Flash player.

NOTES:

• If I install Firefox, it works, since it has the Flash add-on. But company policies would not allow to use a different browser than IE11

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Apparently, I managed to find a link on the Adobe site to install the Flash player... however by looking in the control panel it looks like I installed "Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2".

Anyway, I reached out to my IT department and they confirmed that Flash is blocked by default on our PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 10, Flash Player is embedded in IE and all updates are distributed by Microsoft via Windows Update.

Please provide a direct URL to a page that you are experiencing this problem on.

I cannot enable Flash Player because, when I go to the add-ons, the "Shockwave Flash Object" is not there to be enabled.

Is it there when you select to view 'All add-ons'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. I'll try to see if Microsoft Update has the "Shockwave Flash Object" available somewhere to download. If you know where it is, it would be great if you could post the link, thanks

I cannot provide the URL, sorry: it's an ADP page that requires to be logged in, so it would not work on your end. However, the link I posted above (Flash Player Issues | Windows 10 | Internet Explorer) is also including a flash player test object that fails as well on my PC.

I selected "All add-ons" and all the other possible options in the drop-down, but the "Shockwave Flash Object" is still not listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to see if Microsoft Update has the "Shockwave Flash Object" available somewhere to download

The update is Flash Player Update for Internet Explorer / Edge.  Since updates are automatically pushed out on Windows 10 I suspect you already have it installed, unless your company delays updates.

Thank you for confirming that the 'Shockwave Flash Object' doesn't display at all in the 'Mange Add-ons' window.  I would suggest checking with your IT department.  Based on what you've said, they implement several policies that modify Windows behaviour.  Perhaps they're doing something here as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also suspect that the company's modifications to Windows are blocking Flash Player altogether. And they are keeping it out of the Windows updates, too.

Today I managed to install the standalone flash player from Adobe's website, not sure if this will make any difference for the websites that use Flash. I'll be able to try tomorrow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I managed to install the standalone flash player from Adobe's website, not sure if this will make any difference for the websites that use Flash. I'll be able to try tomorrow

You managed to install Flash Player ActiveX on Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, I managed to find a link on the Adobe site to install the Flash player... however by looking in the control panel it looks like I installed "Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2".

Anyway, I reached out to my IT department and they confirmed that Flash is blocked by default on our PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
looking in the control panel it looks like I installed "Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2".

Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2 is a completely different product.  It doesn't play Flash content

Sorry to hear that.  I'll mark your reply as the correct one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines