Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

older PC with XP and Chrome PPAPI

Flash is 22.0.0

Update box shows checked for auto updates

Installer downloads, but double clicking or opening does not occur

have tried numerous times ?

notice at top of web page says "blocked" due to old version.

clicking that box to update does nothing other than instructions

any ideas would be welcome

[moderator: added browser and OS to title for clarity]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome dropped support for Windows XP several months ago, and Windows XP itself is well past it's end of life.  Unless you're running WinXP SP3, it also lacks the cryptographic support necessary to run our installers, although it will let you proceed if you ignore the security warnings.

More importantly, Windows XP is missing about 15 years worth of progress in operating system security, in an era where the population of hackers has moved from kids in basements to industrial-scale organized crime and state-sponsored professionals.  When we teach people system penetration testing, we use Windows XP as the target operating system when they're first getting started.  It's way easier than attacking anything current.

It's time to upgrade to a current operating system, especially if you're doing anything sensitive with the machine (healthcare, banking, etc.).

If price is an issue, you can get a decent Chromebook for $200.  A decent economy Win10 laptop will run you about $450, and both Amazon and Walmart sell refurbished Apple hardware.  If you don't mind having something a couple models behind, you can pick them up pretty cheap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you quick response and advice. To bring you up to date. We have other PC's with Win 7 and IE updated to your 27.0.0. The XP PC with Chrome is in a reading room and is a device for streaming music.

I did install SP3 . Great. That allowed me to download the installer and actually install the new Flash, or so I thought. Showed installation bar for both Flash and McAfee Sec. 100% complete and let me "finish" install. Your web page comes up saying "thank you & enjoy" and at the top a bar once again saying Player is Blocked Out Of Date.

Going to check to see what is actually is installed ..... sure enough still shows vrs. 22.0.0

Did that install three times. Same results.

Nothing ever came about about security warnings. ?

Any suggestions ?   Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version of Chrome you have has Flash Player embedded and expects Flash Player to be at a specific location (usually within the Chrome directory).  It will not load Flash Player from any other location.  When you install Flash Player it installs to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash (and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash if this is a 64-bit OS).  The version of Chrome you have doesn't know about these locations.  You would need to copy the Flash Player plugin to the location Chrome is aware of, and even then it'll continue to report the wrong version, and may not work.  If you want to give it a try, do the following (these instructions assume you have 23-bit Windows XP):

1. Launch Chrome and navigate to chrome://plugins
  2. Click +Details in the upper right to expand the plugin details
  3. Locate the Flash Player entry and make note of the Flash Player Path
  4. Close Chrome
  5. Rename pepflashplayer.dll and manifest.json to something else (e.g. append .original to the file name) or move them to a new folder (this is to back them up in case these instructions don't work)
  6. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and copy pepflashplayer32_VersionNumber.dll and manifest.json files and paste them in the directory obtained in step 3
    • If the directory obtained in step 3 is a user location (it's not \Program Files directory on Windows, or /Applications directory on Mac), you'll need to rename the Flash Player folder name to the version of Flash Player you are using. For example, if the folder name is '22.0.0.209', you'll need to rename that to '27.0.0.170' or whatever version you are using.
  7. Rename the pepflashplayer32_VersionNumber.dll file to pepflashplayer.dll
  8. Launch Chrome

This is a workaround and may or may not work.  Chrome will continue to report the old version of Flash Player, not the newer version.

<edited to add sub-bullet at step 6>

<edited: fixed incorrect file names>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for his guide, but for me it works only if I rename folder with number of version of adobe plugin, within folder  ..\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash . simply i just rename folder 22.0.0.209 into 27.0.0.209 and only after this action warning about outdated plugin is disapear. Checked at 2 PC with Microsoft Windows XP Professional - it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 locations that the embedded version of Flash Player is saved to.  The location depends on how Flash was updated (either via a Chrome update, or a component update).  The Chrome update location (this is in Program Files directory on Windows, or /Applications directory on Mac) doesn't have a Flash Player version number folder.  The component update location (user directory) does have a Flash Player version number folder. In this case, the Flash Player version number folder does indeed need to be updated to match that of the Flash Player version installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont want to dispute with you, i just write to tell anyone other people. your guide is not full and its not working, at least for my two cases, when I did what you write and nothing happen. Chrome browser still "think" that version of abobe plugin is outdated and keep block execution of content. Its obviously that im talking about google's appdata folder, e.g.: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\27.0.0.209

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just clarifying both of our posts and the reason why you needed to rename the Flash Player version number folder.  I'll edit my previous post with this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom line is that Chrome does not support Windows XP.  Flash Player and Chrome are interdependent, meaning that the current Flash Player version always requires the corresponding current Chrome version.  This is the only valid, and supported configuration.  All of our instructions are geared towards the current versions of the major browsers.  All of the major browsers update every 4 to 6 weeks.  There's no feasible way that we can support something that's out of date by 20+ versions.

If you absolutely need to use Windows XP (which, from a security perspective, is a terrible idea), then you should probably move to Firefox, but really, it's time to move to at least Windows 7.

If you can't afford a license for Windows, then you should really consider moving to a free operating system like Ubuntu or Mint Linux.  They're modern operating systems with modern security features, they're free, and they're supported by current browsers.

In the US, if you're price sensitive, a Windows 10 laptop that's far superior to any WinXP hardware costs about $400.  A decent chromebook costs $200-250, and both Amazon and Walmart sell refurbished Apple hardware at a big discount.

It's time to move away from Windows XP.  To put it in perspective, we're not even allowed to have a WinXP machine in our facilities, much less attached to our network.  It's way past time to move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted how to patch Chrome to update its internal Flash version number. After this it doesn’t complain anymore about Flash being outdated. See this thread:

How to Install Flash in Vista w/ Chrome Browser??​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, those instructions worked for me with the caveat that FlashPlayer_VersionNumber_ppapi.dll was actually pepflashplayer32_VersionNumber.dll.

I still occasionally use XP (in a VM) because I have some legacy software which won't run on later versions of Windows.  It's handy to still be able to run Chrome while I'm in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In June 2017 I posted a comprehensive step-by-step guide (with pictures) on how to update Flash Player (PepperFlash) for Google Chrome on Windows XP.

Part of that solution includes changing the version number on the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Fox\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\28.0.0.137

(​You must replace "Stephen Fox" above with whatever the name of your user account name is.)

After pasting the updated file in that folder, the version number must be updated, otherwise the chrome:\\plugins flag will not correctly detect the correct version of the plugin that is inside the folder.

Here is what I believe to be the simplest procedure for updating Adobe Flash Player for Google Chrom...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines