• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

complaint about Adobe bundling another program with a flash player update

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to enter this before. Adobe sent me a message saying my flash player needed upgrading, so I clicked on sending it. When I went to run it the download bar showed that it was also downloading a McAfee program that I was not told about or asked to download. It completed the download, and ran the Flash Player update, then Mcfee started to run a scan. I have other safety programs, and WIN 10 programs, and have no use for McAfee anything. So I have removed the McAfee program from my computer, and also the Adobe Flash Player, I hope someone from Adobe is reading this, I wont trust Adobe again with anything.

I dont know what program uses Flash Player, if something needs it I will see if anything else will do it and download that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback.

When you say "Adobe sent me a message saying my flash player needed upgrading"  What exactly do you mean?  Adobe doesn't "send messages" about Flash Player updates, however, if you have Flash Player installed and the update option selected, a notification dialog window will display advertising an update is available.  If you want to download the update, you will be directed to an download page on Adobe's site that will include optional third party software.  The option to decline the third party software is on the page (unless you went to some non-Adobe site, which is possible since there are a number of malicious Flash Player installers floating around).

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your description. But I think I remember that the default

setting for the security option download is yes. I just without thinking

ok'd it. But when it downloaded and said it could not start up because

of my Norton program, I realized what happened and immediately removed

the program.

So now I am more vigilant about having unwanted additions to a requested

download also downloaded.

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi raymondr97944905 ,

Yes, the default update option is 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)', which configures the system for background (silent) updates that do not require any user interaction.  The system will fail-over to notification updates (display notification that an update is available) if background updates fails to update the system after a certain number of attempts.  If you're system is configured for background updates and you were notified an update is available it's possible something is failing with the background updates.

To confirm if your system is configured for background updates, do the following:

• Launch Control Panel and go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items > Flash Player
  • When the Flash Player Settings Manager displays, go to the Updates tab
  • view update option selected

If the system is configured for Background Updates, the FlashInstall.log file may provide some insight into what's going on.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I echo this complaint.

In the act of installing the recent security update for flash player the unwanted bundled Intel True Key app was installed.  As far as I could observe (and a vanilla install window with one check box on it is not complicated), there was no obvious option to refuse the bundled app.  I even attempted to quit the physical download and still wound up having to uninstall the app.

Security updates are an unethical place to bundle unrequested apps.  If flash were not such an established platform I'd stop using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines