Crapware installed when I installed Flash Player.

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning, I tried to update flash player on my iMac--should have been simple, right? I downloaded the installer from the Adobe website. The installer installed a piece of crap application called "Advanced Mac Cleaner". It was a lot of work to get this off of my Computer.

The only warning I got that anything was odd was a popup during the installation warning that the installer was trying to install a "helper" application. I hit the go ahead button. Big mistake.

I sure HOPE that this did not happen with Adobe's knowledge and consent. I don't need any help or advice at this point, but I'm posting here to alert someone at Adobe about this.

TOPICS
Download install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for posting the issue. Could you private message me the url from where you downloaded Flash Player or report about the same at phishing@adobe.com. Additionally please go ahead and download the uninstaller from Uninstall Flash Player for Mac OS page and uninstall Flash Player. Download the latest version of Flash Player from Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions page.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player for Mac installers do not install any 3rd party software.  It sounds like you accidentally went to a page that looked like Adobe's download side, but wasn't.  Depending on the browser you used, you may be able to obtain the exact URL the file was downloaded from in the Downloads history.  If you don't delete browser history, you should be able to find out the URL of the site you went to to download the file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it sounds like you downloaded a malicious installer, from a malicious site.  Please do report the site, as Adobe Fraud team follows up on these.

In addition to my colleagues, comments, I recommend running a complete system scan:  anti-virus, malware, adware, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I too fell victim to this. Took me a while to find and remove all of the Crapware that was installed. I have sent the URL to the Phishing address.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines