• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dear ADOBE - PLEASE let me have my update preferences without your interference!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash 26.0.0.131

Firefox 54.0

Mac OS 10.11.6

But none of that matters ...

My problem (and I guess it is MY problem) is that I hate it when software is automagically installed on MY computer without MY expressed permission!  I set all MY computer's upgrade preferences to settings that allow ME to perform the updates.  I do this because, sometimes, new problems are introduced when new software is installed!!  It's a damned good reason!!  If installations are being done at times unknown to ME - the only person who is in a position to troubleshoot MY computer - I am not in a position to ask one of the most important questions that a troubleshooter can ask - namely:  DID I CHANGE ANYTHING JUST BEFORE THIS CRAP STARTED HAPPENING?

In its infinite wisdom, ADOBE has apparently chosen to design THEIR installer to reset MY installation preference to automagic each time I update Flash.  So I must remember to manually reset the preference from ADOBE's preferred setting back to MINE, each and every time I update.

Dear ADOBE: 

That stinks!!

It's MY computer - not YOURS!!

Thanks in advance for your kind attention in this matter.

PS - It's a good thing I use software that lets ME know when YOUR installer is phoning home.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

We already HAVE CHOSEN, the UPDATE (not a new install) CHANGES it. We know this is by design, we disagree that it is correct design.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can go to System Preferences on your machine, select Flash Player, go to updates tab and select option "Notify me to install updates" if you do not want automatic updates.

Please note, every time you install the updated version of Flash Player, it comes with "Allow Adobe to install updates" pre-selected. You need to manually choose option 2 at installation time to avoid automatic updates.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that ON UPDATE it CHANGES to "Allow Adobe to install updates" IS THE PROBLEM ridhijain​ so your response just restated the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It is as designed. If you wish to choose some other update method, you would require to do it manually after an update is installed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We already HAVE CHOSEN, the UPDATE (not a new install) CHANGES it. We know this is by design, we disagree that it is correct design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback.  While some individuals like to control when software is installed on their system, the vast majority want automatic updates, therefore, the default update option is set to 'Allow Adobe to install updates automatically (recommended)'.  This ensures the vast majority of users have Flash Player updated within 24 hours of a new version being released, whereas the notification update mechanism can take up to 7 days to notify a user an update is available.  This is not something unique to Adobe.  Many software companies (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft (Windows 10 at least), etc) default to automatic updates to ensure their user's system is updated with the latest most secure version of their software.

While the default update option is set to 'Allow Adobe to install updates automatically (recommended)' the end user has ALWAYS had the ability to change this upon installation, or in the System Preferences menu.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

m_vargas, The vast majority has that choice.  They can choose to have all their updates done automatically.  Adobe doesn't need it's installer to change MY update preferences each time in order for the masses to have what you suggest they want. 

It's not what I want.  And there are others who don't want it either.  The problem here is that, once the average user misses fixing Adobe's forced opt-in, they never see the installer again to opt back out.  I only noticed it had happened because I run software that alerts me when the installation process contacts the Adobe servers by "phoning home". 

But the ultimate issue is that my computer, and my preferences, do not belong to Adobe.  They belong to ME!  and it's UTTER BS that Adobe thinks it's okay to trick me into having it the the way Adobe thinks I should have it.  It's presumptuous in the extreme!  And disrespectful!  I will therefore curse Adobe each time I update Flash until this installer trap is fixed. I'm looking forward to many years of cursing Adobe, I suspect.

That's my feedback - and I'm stickin' to it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines