• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I delete flash files in winsxs and syswow64?

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the uninstaller and deleted C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash  and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash.

Couldn't find %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player  and%appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player  though.

I searched my pc for more instances of "flash" and most of them were in winsxs folder and was wondering if I should delete them as well.

I attached screenshots of the files I am talking about. Thank you!

TOPICS
End of life , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Files in the winsxs are Windows Updates files and you should be cautious of deleting anything in that directory.

Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE/Edge as of Windows 8 and has released an update to remove the emedded version of Flash Player.  I've no idea what files it leaves behind.  If you've executed the update to remove the embedded Flash Player ActiveX Control and have questions, please contact Microsoft for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Windows Control Panel.

Scroll down to Programs > Uninstall programs.

Follow the on screen prompts.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To remove browser add-ons and plugins, please consult your browser's documentation.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Files in the winsxs are Windows Updates files and you should be cautious of deleting anything in that directory.

Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE/Edge as of Windows 8 and has released an update to remove the emedded version of Flash Player.  I've no idea what files it leaves behind.  If you've executed the update to remove the embedded Flash Player ActiveX Control and have questions, please contact Microsoft for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines