Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can;t download new version of flash on mac 10.68

[moderator: edited title for clarity]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where do we go now for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if you ever found a solution for this problem?

Flash versions do not include Snow Leopard OS. I just got a new (used) iMac and after everything transferred over from my Mac Pro, I lost the version of Flash that worked on my 10.6.8 system. That Adobe assumes we can all get on the upgrade/updates bandwagon (or want to) is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really about assuming you can get on the upgrade bandwagon. Old versions of Flash have known security holes, which bad guys are trying full time to attack. So my thought is, Adobe do not want to be responsible for you being attacked. So they do not offer old versions easily. Meanwhile Mac OS 10.6 itself is a huge security hole. Be sure you don't ever enter personal details, credit cards etc. on this old Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. And I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't mean I can do anything about it. My Mac Pro with Snow Leopard ran fine for years - I'm very diligent about keeping a clean machine and not doing foolish things online, and I haven't used a credit card in years.

So the problem remains - you say they don't offer old versions easily - if that means there's a hard way to get the version of Flash I had and you know of it, I hope you'll share, because I'm rather desperate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS X 10.6.8 is no longer supported, however, Flash Player installation is not blocked.  To download Flash Player for OS X 10.6.8, go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions.  In step 1, select the OS, in step 2, select the plugin type you wish to install.

That Adobe assumes we can all get on the upgrade/updates bandwagon (or want to) is frustrating.

If you opt into background updates (update option = 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)) Flash Player should be updated silently in the background, within 24 hours of a new version being available, assuming an active internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

Thank you, but I'm not sure why you post links that don't address the issue. Adobe's choices for Flash versions do not include 10.6.8 - the lowest it goes is 10.10-10.13.

I desperately need a source for Flash Player that will work with Snow Leopard - I don't understand why Adobe leaves so many of us in the dust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While 10.6.8 is no longer supported, installation is not blocked.  Thus, you can use the installer for 10.10-10.13 to install Flash Player on your 10.6.8 system.

Note that there is no guarantee as to how Flash Player will perform on unsupported systems, as we do not develop for, nor test on, unsupported platforms.

I don't understand why Adobe leaves so many of us in the dust.

10.6.8 is extremely old (first released August 2009) and no longer supported by Apple (last update was released July 2011).  Due to technological changes and improvements between older and newer mac versions, decisions had to be made to drop support for older versions in order to support newer features, in both the operating systems and Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

I know installation is not blocked and I have that version installed. The problem is that it's not working well. I can no longer watch videos on NetFlix and some other sites, nor do any of the gaming sites I use work anymore. That is why I want and need the Flash version I had on my Mac Pro.

I know my OS is old - if my last name were Trump I'd be all set and have a shiny new computer and OS and software ... but it isn't, and I can't afford the latest greatest. I know from reading forum posts that I am not alone. It's a shame that Adobe's decisions for dropping support for older systems and software affects a great many of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Netflix system requirements for HTML5 Player and Silverlight , Netflix doesn't use Flash. 

According to Netflix says my system is not compatible.​, Netflix doesn't support OS X 10.6:

We recommend updating to a browser that supports HTML5 to ensure your computer is optimized for our web player. Please download the latest version of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or Safari and try Netflix again. Our web player works best on:

• Google Chrome on Mac OS X 10.9 or later (Snow Leopard).
  • Mozilla Firefox on Mac OS X 10.7 or later.
  • Opera on Mac OS X 10.9 or later.
  • Safari on Mac OS X 10.10 or later.

Google Chrome, Firefox and Opera no longer support OS X 10.6.8:

I understand where you're coming from, computers aren't cheap, however, the reality is OS X 10.6 is simply too old for modern web technology.

Depending on your system's hardware you may be able to upgrade to 10.9 or 10.10.  You would need to find the minimum hardware requirements for those versions and see if your system meets those hardware requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have Silverlight installed - still doesn't work. That said, Netfilx was working fine (on Firefox) with OS 10.6.8 until I switched to a newer computer last week. Everything was working fine until I got a newer computer and moved all my files and software over.

My Adobe design software will not work on any OS other than Snow Leopard. Adobe will not allow me to use software I paid for and owned and used for years, giving me one month to do something about it. Nor can I update Firefox or Safari with this OS.

I cannot use software I paid for and registered, simply because I bought a newer computer. It's a pretty crappy way to treat a customer who has never had the kind of money it takes to stay up-to-date. Frankly, I've enjoyed the fact that I don't have to be held prisoner to their subscription model, because what a rip-off that is.

Recommendations are great, but none of that is happening unless a rich uncle dies or I win the lottery. I will be losing my only livelihood in under 30 days, when I will no longer be able to open my software programs.

So I give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reality here is that Apple continuously changes MacOS, and the latest versions of MacOS have changed enough since you last purchased Creative Suite that the copies that you purchased on the perpetual license no longer run.  This isn't Adobe holding you hostage.  We fulfilled our obligations and delivered working software.  This is the hard reality that MacOS changes, and keeping software running on MacOS requires significant, ongoing engineering costs. 

Since this is the Flash Player forum, we'll focus on the Flash Player issue. 

Flash Player doesn't exist in a vacuum.  It's dependent on the host browser, and there are interdependencies between them.  We ship Flash Player monthly, in tandem with the major browser vendors, who are on 4-6 week update cycles, depending on the company.  While it *might* work sometimes, running mismatched copies of Flash Player and the host browser isn't a recipe for success.  If you want things to work well and be in a secure state, you need the latest available browser version and the latest available Flash Player

version.

To that end, Flash Player also requires MacOS 10.10 or higher.  Again, changes to MacOS require that we make significant changes to Flash Player in order to continue running on current versions of the operating system.  We don't get the luxury of staying static in a world that's constantly changing.

Here are the system requirements:

Tech specs | Adobe Flash Player

So yeah, you have two choices.  You can update to current versions of the operating systems and software available for your hardware (which requires paying for the work involved in producing said software), or you can choose to freeze the machine at a certain point in time and take no more updates.

If you decide to never update again, then take the computer off the network (because old software and operating systems aren't secure), and just use it as a Photoshop kiosk indefinitely.

You can also go buy a Chromebook for $200 that would allow you to securely browse the web and do email.

Alternatively, you could upgrade the machine to a current operating system, pay for a Creative Cloud subscription that would entitle you to the latest versions of Adobe's products on a continuing basis, and continue to browse the web with the latest versions of your favorite web browser and Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone is now moving away from Flash to newer technologies that may not work in your old system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions

In step 1, select 'Mac OS X 10.6 - 10.14'

In step 2, select the browser you want to download Flash for

Note there may be optional 3rd party offerings in the center panel

Click the yellow 'Download now' button on the bottom right of the page

The installer will download to your default download locations (usually the Downloads folder unless you changed it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines