• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Effecting Teachers

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know who is most negatively effected by ending Flash Player? TEACHERS!!

I am a middle school teacher and I used flash player games in EVERY SINGLE LESSON I teach. Now that the students are learning at home or online this compounds this DISASTER even more. Flash games for any science topic were everywhere and free! Now, there are literally no games anywhere to help my students understand a concept or get to play within the system on their own if they finish early or whatever the case may be. I am so upset as I am having to redo an entire lesson that was built around a flash player game. These small companies are not updating these mostly because they don't have the money to and I am now out. GREAT! Hope you got all the money or whatever kickback you received for allowing this popular application to end. 

[Edited by moderator for language translators.]

TOPICS
End of life

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

"GREAT! Hope you got all the money or whatever kickback you received for allowing this popular application to end."

==============

Hi @default7wlmckd78s4t,

This is a publicly accessible user-to-user forum, not a private Adobe channel.

Flash Player was always a free browser plugin.  No money was ever involved except what Adobe spent on research & development to keep it going. 

As an unpaid forum volunteer and long-time product user, I think you've got this upside down.  Here's why. 

1. Flash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"GREAT! Hope you got all the money or whatever kickback you received for allowing this popular application to end."

==============

Hi @default7wlmckd78s4t,

This is a publicly accessible user-to-user forum, not a private Adobe channel.

Flash Player was always a free browser plugin.  No money was ever involved except what Adobe spent on research & development to keep it going. 

As an unpaid forum volunteer and long-time product user, I think you've got this upside down.  Here's why. 

1. Flash Player was killed by Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Mozilla and other browser vendors for security reasons.  Adobe had little to say about it.
  2. Everyone had 3+ years advanced notice that Flash Player was ending on Dec 31, 2020, giving developers ample time to prepare new materials if they wanted to.  If they didn't, that was their own undoing. 
    The July 2017 Announcement
    https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

Have you talked to fellow colleagues and your school district about obtaining new course materials that don't require Flash Player?  I'm guessing that you'll find plenty of interactive content online that doesn't require Flash Player.  But the school will probably have to pay for it. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Evora5F87,

No.  FB is not a browser and neither are Apple and Google.  But they all disallowed Flash content from running on their platforms & devices for the same reasons that browser vendors quit supporting 3rd party plugins.

The same thing happened a few years ago with Java, Silverlight, QuickTime, RealPlayer, Shockwave,Powerpoint... The planned phase-out of all 3rd party plugins has been in the works for years and is intended to make the Internet a safer place for everyone.

Suggesting that people should defy the restictions and run unsupported plugins from untrusted websites is not only foolish, it's irresponsible.  The risk of infecting one's computer with trojans and ransomware isn't worth it.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For completeness:

Adobe announced Flash Player's end-of-life in July 2017 giving content creators, programmers, developers, IT experts, etc over 3 years remove Flash Player dependencies from their products. All modern browsers provide the capabilities necessary to do this in JavaScript.  This is an investment and prioritization choice, not a technical limitation. 

For reference:

Major browser vendors are deprecating Flash Player support.  Details specific to each vendor:

• Apple Safari - removed Flash Player support in Safari 14, released Sept 16, 2020
  • Google Chrome - removed Flash Player support in Chrome 88, released Jan 19, 2021
  • Firefox - removed Flash Player support in Firefox 85, released on Jan 26, 2021.
    • Firefox ESR 78 will support Flash Player for the time being, assuming the Flash Player NPAPI plugin is already installed as it’s no longer available for download.
  • Microsoft Edge - removed Flash Player support in Edge 88, released Jan 15, 2021
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer and legacy Edge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines