• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

End of Flash

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As well as I remember my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary requires Adobe Flash to function. If AF ceases to exist on my computers how will I access my SOED?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything Flash based will stop working. Everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear
Oh well
Thanks
Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should, by the way, contact Oxford publications to see if they propose an update or upgrade to your software. It is a terribly pity when valuable info stops working, but in the world of software there needs to be a commitment from the maker to keeping it going as computers change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks.
I had a suspicion that that was something I would need to do.
Oh well, wish me luck but I won't hold my breath.
I had an experience once before where the software company went out of
business - no upgrade available.
Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually NO ! NO, NO and .. NO! 

Flash is a military grade platform, and it is the highest performance platform, on top of which is build Flex framework, which is the highest performing RIA platform in the history of web, unbeatable by none so far.
A lot of companies actually claimed that they NEED to have flash for their applications, and there is right now a browser which claims that will support flash at it current state for at least a few years more. 
ANYWAY peoples start transfering Flash player to Web Assembly, which will result a complete distributable on-the-fly version of flash player which actually will run on all browsers and platforms practically FOREVER.
And.. it's actualy hapened already. ActionScript2 is almost transited to WebAsembly and the flash games based on it is absolutely working as before on browsers and platforms which even does not support Flash !
ActionScript3 is in awaiting state since Adobe did not opensourced it ( SHAME ON YOU ADOBE ! ).

So.
1. Flash will probably be FOREVER !
2. Flash will probably INCREASE popularity if this all hapens as it must !
3. SHAME ON YOU ADOBE THAT YOU ARE NOT SUPPORTED PEOPLES WITH FLASH2WEBASM PROJECTS !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure how transitioning to web assembly will help someone with a closed source product based on Flash (in this case, a dictionary). Can you explain how that will work for them, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines