• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

end of life - old videos?

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discovered today Flash end of life for all browsers - answer to my question may be obvious, but just want to confirm.  Does this mean that after end-of-life Flash happens, if you go to a website and they have a video posted on there, and it relieD (and now still relieS) on Flash in order for it to play, that you will NOT be able to view that Flash-dependent video?  That there will be no way to play it anymore?   And if so, can anything be done by the viewer in case the website owner/content creator does not migrate as stated in Adobe post ("Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.") ?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you said. It will stop working, no ifs or buts, no exceptions for special sites. Hobbyists and enthusiasts may find alternatives (like web based rendering, systems somehow frozen in time etc.) but for mainstream users, it's gone. The mainstream movie providers moved off Flash long ago. Games will probably be the biggest loss, but I have no doubt some companies will go to the wall because they have not been diligent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply do not agree what you are saying, I doubt you have genuine statistics of all your affirmations in all countries of this planet.

Now, as I always saying as a counter point of view of Test_screen_name nothing is impossible in the digital world. Many companies whom don't expect any changes in their infrastructures for various reasons (finance, risks,new bugs,time etc..) as well as hundreds of thousands of amateurs and professional websites and overall game developers won't changee anything as long as it works since years and will find a new way to run the SWF in a web browser without Flash (webassembly for exemple). If no one were using Flash today, since long time Flash will be out of the game. Google and co can do everything to force the users/developers to change a technology, but as long as the new technology replacement is not better and lacks of many crucial functions like NetGroup, Multicast, UDP(RTMFP), Vectors array, Typing etc... so it's still an absurdity and non sense to switch from a good tech to an older chaotic tech like javascript.

And I'm pretty sure a lot of developers with solid background and complex applications/games will find a way to avoid this insanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ge1, that's what I meant by people saying "something will turn up". If you understand that and can do the necessary things, it might work for you, or not. But I suspect you don't much care for talk of multicasts and web assemblies, and I really do advise you to consider what you will do if, for you, Flash Player is gone soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe don't want to lose more credibility and reputation and logically they so don't want to lose so many users/developers/companies or for sure the will put the key under the carpet. I have no doubt the Adobe Flash/Air/Animate developers are enough smart to work on it since they decide to end Flash plugin, with the agreeement of browsers developers to abandon the NPAPI and PPAPI plugin concept, too hard to maintain in good conditions with third party developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for both your replies above!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the official Adobe statement, complete with links to the corresponding browser vendors' roadmaps: 

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

If the content provider doesn't update, their content simply isn't going to work for the vast majority of users on the web.  Converting Flash Video and making it available via the built-in browser video support is super easy, and there are plenty of vendors in this space (e.g. Brightcove) that provide turn-key solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the answer. Hope this helps me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines