• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feedback about the Flash Player download process.

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser : Firefox 3.6.9

This is just some feedback, I notice with some dismay that it is impossible to download the flash player (10.1) from the Adobe website, a 2.66MB file without installing either the Adobe Download Manager or some unknown addon for Firefox. It will be a cold day in hell before I do either of those things to download one 2.66MB file. Luckilly I found another site which linked me to a link directly on the Adobe site where I could download the installer without going through your only public available options.

If I were downloading a trial of Adobe Premiere which weighed in at over a gigabyte, I would probably install your download manager (and the uninstall it as soon as the download were done.) For a file weighing in at 2.66MB, there is no way I am going to all that trouble.

My recommendation is just to let us err download the file directly without installing a whole bunch of stuff that we as users have no idea what it is up to.

My customer confidence is not strengthened by these attempts to get software installed just so that I can download your software.

Thanks.

--

PCuscaden

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. while trying to update Flash in Firefox  I just was directed to do a manual install of a missing plugin with a weird name - an executable which was touted for XP, which my box does not have.

Obviously Adobe does not even have a safe, secure install program, let alone Flash in the wild.

Jobs was right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, The Manual Flash Player Installers and procedures are in this Troubleshooting Guide and instructions:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html  

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes im rather unhappy too. i watched for the spaces t click 'i dont want this', unchecked them all and now i have 2 programs i cannot uninstall. 1 i cant find now and the other constantly says its still updating.... this is dumb because i would rather not use flash player at all than have my pc filling with programs i dont want... if this link this kind gentleman dropped in doesnt work i will be doing without... my pc is not a trash can...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some new story not show a video because Flash Player wasn't working well.  So I went to Adobe to download latest version.  I started that download, and it stopped saying I must close Internet Explorer (which is the  browser I'm using to download the software.  I eventually got that out of the way, the Adobe finished loading, but then reported that it didn't register properly.

If Adobe wants me to upgrade, they need to make their installation process more rigorous than this.

I don't have time to be debugging Adobe's product installation software.

tq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new flash player update better be very temporary. Anyone else dreading installing windows 8? I've been using 7 since it came out, and everything was going great until now. It is impossible to download the newest flash player on windows 7. I have used every browser on my computer and can't even get it to work so that I can do my classwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On no account install Windows 8. In 2018, It is much deader than Windows 7 !!

However, Flash works fine in Windows 7. Rather than assuming it's an operating system problem, please describe your symptoms in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please share a screenshot of the issue you are facing when trying to install Flash Player. Also share the steps you are following.

On Win 8 and above, Flash Player for IE browser comes installed and all updates are pushed by Microsoft as part of Windows updates. For other browsers, you can download the latest version of Flash Player from Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions page.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, you always want the latest Flash Player. The only valid version of Flash Player is the current one.  It's backwards compatible (with some caveats), and more importantly, contains the most current and comprehensive set of security mitigations.  You should not browse the web while running an old copy of Flash Player.  It's just a bad idea.

That said, it's not exactly clear what the complaint here is, but I *think* it's about the bundled offers that come with Flash Player.

For better or worse, the bundled offers pay the bills.  I've posted extensive explanations which you can find in my activity history, but the bottom line is that while Flash Player is free, Adobe is a for-profit corporation.

While I'd love to live in a post-scarcity Start Trek style meritocracy, that day currently seems very remote.  In the meantime, we don't have the luxury of just spending money without generating income, and maintaining and distributing Flash Player is a tremendously complex and expensive undertaking.

At the end of the day, we pay business experts to research, identify and implement the most effective business strategy, and this is hands-down the approach that yields the best results.  It’s also the case that those bundled offers keep me employed, and it would be disingenuous to just blame it on the business people.

The truth is, a sufficient number of people find enough value in the bundled offers that they ultimately spend money with those sponsors, who in turn see value in partnering with us, which in turn keeps us supplied with engineers, servers, bandwidth and coffee.  It’s an imperfect solution for an imperfect world.  Those sponsors and their payloads are carefully vetted.

That said, you actually *do* have a few options at your disposal in terms of avoiding this prompt:

1.) Enable automatic updates. 

You do not get prompted for background updates.  We actually forego the revenue opportunity to ensure that you're always updated with the latest security patches.

2.) Use Google Chrome or Internet Explorer/Edge on Windows 8 and higher

These browser partners contribute directly to the Flash ecosystem in multiple ways, and distribute Flash Player as built-in components of their browsers.  There's nothing separate to download or install, and Flash Player is automatically kept updated via either the Chrome updater or Windows Update, respectively.

3.) Uninstall Flash Player

While probably not the optimal answer, you can always opt-out of participating in the ecosystem. 

I've included links to our uninstallers below, for your convenience:

Uninstall Flash Player - Mac:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Uninstall Flash Player - Windows:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, given the age of this thread (I just realized that the original post was from 2010), I'm going to lock it so that the original contributors don't continue to get email updates.

As usual, if you have an actual technical problem that we can help with, please start a new thread with useful details (see guide below on getting a useful answer), and we'll do our best to help.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1195540

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines