• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Explorer not working since Adobe uninstalled Flash Player

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I got a popup from Adobe in regard to uninstalling Flash Player.  The popup had a button to uninstall Flash Player.  Since it was uninstalled I can no longer open File Explorer in Windows.  It closes immediately.  I also cannot save or open any files in Adobe PS since it also uses File Explorer.

I need this fixed asap as you can see it is a critical component of a computer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Many things can effect performance of Windows File Explorer.  Flash Player is NOT one of them.

Some things to try:

• Reboot computer in Safe Mode.
  • Run system file checker.
  • Update drivers.
  • Run disk cleanup.
  • Perform a thorough virus and spyware scan.
  • Restore system to a previous state.
  • Re-install Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is no longer developing that product https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Getting Flash Player https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer to reinstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue started when Adobe uninstalled Flash yesterday from my computer.  I know it is no longer being developed.  That is why I said yes to allow the popup from Adobe to uninstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

Since it was uninstalled I can no longer open File Explorer in Windows

End Quote:

That is a completely Erroneous statement. Flash Player has Nothing to do with Windows File Explorer and is not needed by File Explorer for that program to function.

Have you restarted your system lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see why you say it is an erroneous statement.  The only change that day was Adobe uninstalling Flash Player.  I have not been able to use File Explorer since then.  In fact I actually was in it prior to the uninstall and it was working fine.  Right after Flash was uninstalled it no longer worked.

I'm not sure what the uninstall program touched or if there were files removed that were shared or something got corrupt in the process.   I have indeed restarted and have also gone through all the suggestions to  "Fix File Explorer" on Microsofts site.  None of which have helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when was the last time you restarted your system? I ask that question in my first reply. You have not answered that question.

I don't have flash player installed on my Windows 10 computer. Windows File Explorer works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many things can effect performance of Windows File Explorer.  Flash Player is NOT one of them.

Some things to try:

• Reboot computer in Safe Mode.
  • Run system file checker.
  • Update drivers.
  • Run disk cleanup.
  • Perform a thorough virus and spyware scan.
  • Restore system to a previous state.
  • Re-install Windows.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When in doubt, reboot.  I'd be very surprised if the issue persists through a reboot.

There's no way this is directly Flash related, but the act of uninstalling may have exacerbated some underlying problem (corrupted filesystem, corrupted registry, etc.).  Nancy's advice is solid and speaks directly to this.   

I'm happy to try and help if you're still running into problems, but that list is exactly what I'd have you do. 

We're heading into our winter shutdown (today is the last working day of the year).  Feel free to send me a DM to get my attention (just click my name and choose "send message").  I'll keep an eye out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jeromie_adobe,

"We're heading into our winter shutdown (today is the last working day of the year)."

Best wishes for a healthy & joyful holiday season. 2021 can't come soon enough!!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines