Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 25.0.0.104 on Linux feedback

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

So I downloaded and installed Flash 25.0.0.104 64 bit on my pc which is running Ubuntu Mate 16.04.01 LTS 64 bit.

I was hoping it would work with DRM content specifically HBO Nordic (similar issue with HBO Go so I have heard). I do have HAL installed.

But anyway same problem it just hangs when starting to watch a program. On the Adobe DRM test page it is the same thing as before with v24.0.0.194 it stops at accessing license file and just hangs.

On the positive side Flash still worked on other sites that didnt require DRM. I did go to settings and remove old files and on the global setting I reset the license files but it didnt help.

If you need help testing to get the DRM to work let me know, I am very keen to get a solution....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some extra info

It was the NPAPI 64/bit plugin for Firefox I was talking about.

Also note that I tried it out watching non DRM content and there are signs of video tearing which seems random ie not necessarily connected to fast moving scenes. The same scenes on Chrome with Flash 24.0.0.194 were OK.

All this was tested on a linux Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 system with Intel H81 graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

DRM support is currently not available on Flash Player for Linux.  To find out what features/bug fixes are included in a given beta release, please view the Release Notes, linked to from the beta download page, http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashruntimes/flashplayer/ .

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes my bad, I thought it might have been sneaked in there despite not being mentioned, since its a major deal for Linux users. I cannot believe its taking so long to implement,

Maybe you can tell me, how does Chrome browser running on linux based Chrome OS have a working Adobe Flash player even on DRM content (ie I can watch HBO online with Chrome with Flash Player on Chrome OS)? Do they know something Adobe don`t or what? Or do you both know something that you are not willing to share with everybody else???

Everyone wanting to use a stock linux distro such as Ubuntu for media viewing (such as myself) is eagerly awaiting an answer to this pain in the neck issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, Adobe is investing in DRM and HTML5 video, which is where things are heading.   The DRM and Primetime video in Flash Player  are actually developed and contributed by dedicated engineering groups working on Primetime and DRM, and I can't really speak expertly to their business strategy or timelines.  Those questions are better posed to the Adobe Primetime group for comment. 

If DRM support were to come to Linux, given the larger ecosystem trends, I would expect to see it in the form of Primetime and Adobe Access support for HTML5 video and not for video delivered over Flash Player.  Similarly, I expect that as our engineering focus around rights-managed video turns to HTML5, that you'll see the premium video streaming services transition to HTML5 in tandem.  There are definitely no short-term plans to deliver DRM support for Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revisiting the same question - please bear with me.

Two replies above state DRM for Linux is not supported.

However playing DRM content with Chrome on ChromeOS works - and ChromeOS is actually a Linux disto.

So how come? Are you helping Google with this but nobody else or have they independently come up with a workaround or what?

Is there a way for an experienced user to get DRM playback to work by specific settings in a Linux OS? Something that may not be `supported` but can be done?

There must be a solution since ChromeOS works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never had problem playing DRM content on Linux. Maybe you should update Flash to 29.x.x

and see if it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats interesting. Since I first posted a year ago, Flash has been updated on my machine and is currently 29.0.0.113, I also have the libhal1-flash package installed. As of 5 minutes ago it still does not work.

I am currently running Ubuntu MATE 17.10

So can you see the content in this test demo as described here:

Protected video content does not play in Flash Player

This test fails for me similarly in the latest Chrome and Firefiox browsers (hangs at Loading Flash access license)

I will be amazed if it works but if it does then more info on your system would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed I cannot read this one on Fedora linux 64bit Firefox 58

as said

The DRM and Primetime video in Flash Player  are actually developed and contributed by dedicated engineering groups working on Primetime and DRM, and I can't really speak expertly to their business strategy or timelines

So you should contact Adobe primetime group for this concern, it's not a flash player issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed - indeed

Could you provide a link to a forum where I can take this up?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe

http://www.adobe.com/primetime

Twitter@AdobePrimetime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks

By the way just for your info here are a couple of screenshots of what happens in ChromeOS which is a Linux OS

I made two images to get all the DRM dialog in. If anything gives you a clue about what is going on please let me know.

FireShot Capture 1 - SampleVideoPla_ - http___drmtest2.adobe.com_8080_SVP_SampleVideoPlayer_FP.html#.png

FireShot Capture 2 - SampleVideoPla_ - http___drmtest2.adobe.com_8080_SVP_SampleVideoPlayer_FP.html#.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks, maybe it will be useful for Adobe staff, I'm not a DRM expert btw, but I guess they maybe check the user agent

according to their license. Try maybe a linux browser where you can trick the user agent and see if it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Access is supported on ChromeOS.  That does not mean that it's supported on every Linux distribution.

My guess is that you'll need to use a browser that supports PPAPI, like Google Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea what Adobe Access is but I am running the latest version of Google Chrome.

If it didnt work on ChomeOS then at least everything would be consistent. The fact that it does work on ChromeOS tells me there is a solution for Linux that is not being widely disclosed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Access is the DRM technology that's included in Flash Player.

I know that the Access team explicitly built DRM support into Flash Player for ChromeOS as part of our partnership with Google and the Chrome team.  I can't find anything that specifically mentions Linux or Ubuntu.

You've already posted over in the Access forum in this thread: Unable to watch Flash DRM content in Linux​.  They're in the best position to give you an authoritative answer.

I'm pretty sure that HBO has already made this explicit.  I can't get to the nordic site because I'm in the wrong region, but I imagine that the underlying technology is the same.

From the US site: 

Which devices work with HBO NOW?

Computer

Operating system:

Windows or Mac OS X

(Windows RT is not supported)

Supported browsers:

The latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Safari

Internet Explorer 10 or later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Yes I took the advice of a previous response and made a new post on the Adobe Access site.

Interesting to note that ChromeOS is not mentioned as an OS that works in the HBO web page that you pointed me to..

I will see how I get on at the Adobe Access site (no response yet).

Thanks for your help so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines