Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash App hiding Javascript modal pop-ups

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings -

A few weeks back I had an issue with Flash Apps rendering if Firefox v52.7 or newer was used AND Flash Player v27 or newer was used.

Flash Apps Issues with Specific Combinations of Flash and Firefox

The solution to that issue was to change our wmode  for flash apps from "transparent" to "direct".  We didn't realize at the time that doing that caused several of our Javascript pop-ups to now fall behind the AS3 apps and appear as if they never opened.  Toggling the wmode back to "transparent" fixed the pop-ups, but then we have the rendering issue again.

We can set wmode to "transparent" and then (via about:config) change the dom.ipc.plugins.asyncdrawing.enable to FALSE, this does appear to solve both problems.  However, we have a very large user base on "closed" networks so if we can find a solution that doesn't mean having to change Firefox's settings that would be ideal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is tough, especially with the way that modern browser rendering works.  The optimal way to do this is probably to just do the modal dialog in Flash, and use ExternalInterface to communicate between JavaScript and Flash.  My experience has been that Z-ordering Flash and other HTML elements can be unpredictable and fragile.  If you can avoid it, it makes life much simpler.  Flex has a built-in modal, so it's not to hard to just move that UI stuff into the same Flex app.

By setting WMODE=direct, we basically bypassed all of the compositing steps involved in layering things on the page.  This solved your drawing problem, but the trade-off is that we're always drawing on top of everything else.  This mode is primarily intended for applications where drawing speed is critical (compositing takes CPU cycles), like when using hardware-accelerated 3D graphics.

Since WMODE=transparent didn't work, I'm guessing WMODE=opaque will give you the same problems.  Both allow compositing, but opaque doesn't try to do alpha blending.  It's worth a shot, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I tried WMODE=opaque and it has the same issue as transparent.  I already floated the idea of writing all the modals in AS3 and that isn't an option.  We may be stuck with the Firefox setting change.  Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This isn't the most elegant idea I've ever had, but could you modify the javascript modal to be a pop-up window?  You wouldn't be sharing the surface with flash at that point, so it would draw on top...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines