• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash content will not display on Chrome (Mac)

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is old, been there from the start. Every time I need it, a program asks for it, It's not installed. So I do that again, by which time the program is over adding insult to injury, I restart, try again, still not there. But, nothing anywhere ever indicated that. Then, I go to Adobe for help, spend another 20 minutes trying to find it, this time I eventually did, now that I've missed the lecture I needed. Really frustrated and actually mad. Where does it go, why doesn't it stay in the applications, and why must I chase it on the rare occasion when I need it and still not have it? I have a MacBook Pro, running Yosemite 10.10.5

I want to fix this permanently, not just for now, so that it never happens again just when I need it. If I must use it, it must work.

Janet

[moderator: edited topic title to more accurately reflect issue being reported]

TOPICS
Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why doesn't it stay in the applications,

Flash Player is a browser plugin, not an 'application', thus it isn't saved to the Applications directory.

You don't mention which browser you use, however, most major browser's disable Flash by default.  I suspect this is what you are experiencing.  Depending on the browser, you can set Flash to always be enabled, white-list certain websites (not that sub-domains of websites also need to be white-listed, for example, www.adobe.com and helpx.adobe.com are considered different and would both need to be white-listed).

The tech note Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac provides installation troubleshooting steps and links to enabling Flash in the various supported browsers.  Recommend bookmarking this page for future reference if you continue to experience issues with Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Maria. Appreciate your help.

I searched with the magnifying glass, and found Flash, several, but can't find a place to whitelist or a place to remove the Disable. I'm using Chrome, have a MacBook Pro,  and running Yosemite 10.10.5.

Thanks

Janet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Chrome updated their help page again.  To white-list sites on Chrome:

• Launch Chrome
  • Navigate to chrome://settings/content/flash
  • Add sites in the 'Allow' section

Another feature that may block Flash even if the site has been white-listed is Chrome's Site Engagement Index score (chrome://site-engagement/).  If the number in the Base column is less than 100, Chrome blocks Flash. You can manually edit this number and restart Chrome for it to take affect.  Note that Incognito Mode has it's own Site Engagement Index list and clearing Chrome browser settings will clear the chrome://site-engagement/ list.

<edit>

unlinked links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that and it says "Ask First" although I don't see anything else on the list with that phrase under it. But I don't see a place to change it so that it's always available. Or is that not possible?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Flash configured to the following, you shouldn't be prompted to enable Flash.  If you are, the site is most likely not coded to conform to Chrome's click-to-play Flash implementation.  In this case, I recommending contacting the content creator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and have never had it working. I need it for online meetings for one thing.

I've installed it over the years many times but it's never there when I need it. Now I'm pretty frustrated with it and want to get it properly installed and there when I need it. I have installed twice recently and there are two in my applications but no application is there. I also have the install.log on my desktop as someone suggested it and I can fwd it to you.

I have a MacMini, running High Sierra, 10.13.3, and I use the Chrome browser.

I would  be grateful if someone could finally resolve this old problem.

Please provide the following information:

• URL to the main site of the content you are attempting to view.
  • URL to the exact content you are attempting to view - I realize this most likely requires a log in to access
  • Navigate to chrome://settings/content/flash and post a screenshot of the window (same screenshot as I have posted in my comment #5)
  • Navigate to chrome://flash and provide the Google Chrome, OS, and Flash plugin information.  For example:
    Google Chrome65.0.3325.181 ()
    OSWindows UNKNOWN SP0 64 bit
    Flash plugin29.0.0.113 C:\Users\mvargas\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\29.0.0.113\pepflashplayer.dll

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean? There isn’t an URL. It’s required for camera and mic for my monitor and probably other things I’m not aware of. Also, be aware I have a Mac, not using Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn’t an URL.

I'm confused.  You mentioned you're using Chrome, therefore, I'm assuming you are attempting to view some Flash content, and a specific URL, using Chrome browser.

Please describe, in detail, exactly how you are attempting to view/use Flash.  What online meeting software are you using?  Does it use the browser, or is it a separate program?  If separate, what is the name of the program? The best way to do this is in steps to reproduce format.  Screenshots of error messages, pop-up dialog windows, etc are helpful.

It’s required for camera and mic for my monitor and probably other things I’m not aware of.

It's doubtful the camera and mic require Flash to operate natively.   If you're attempting to access online meeting platform it would be that software/program requiring it.

Also, be aware I have a Mac, not using Windows.

My screenshot was an example of the information being requested.

Is it possible the online meeting software you are attempting to use uses the NPAPI plugin version of Flash, and not the PPAPI plugin version?  NPAPI plugin is used by Safari and Firefox.  PPAPI plugin is used by Chromium-based browsers.

To download and install the NPAPI plugin:

• Using any browser, navigate to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions
  • In step 1, select your operating system
  • In step 2, select FP 29 Mac for Safari and Firefox - NPAPI
  • Locate the downloaded installer file, double-click to launch and proceed to install the NPAPI plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Janet Hudgins

Treason: The Violation of Trust

http://www.amazon.com/TREASON-Violation-Trust-Janet-Hudgins/dp/1436349249 <http://www.amazon.com/TREASON-Violation-Trust-Janet-Hudgins/dp/1436349249>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link you posted contains no Flash content.

In order to provide further assistance, please provide the previously requested information.  Without it, we really can't offer additional assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked several times for specific information that will assist in helping you.  Thus far, you've not provided the requested information that will enable us to better assist you.

Again, the link you posted does not contain Flash content, therefore, it doesn't appear to be the link you're having problem with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Janet, Amazon never used any flash inside their pages since long time. Please provide the page where you have a flash issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too facing this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Technete IT Services

In order to provide assistance, please provide all of the following information:

• Operating system version
  • Web browser and version
  • Flash Player version
  • Explain your problem in step-by-step detail if possible
  • A direct link to a web page that demonstrates the problem
  • If you get error messages, please provide a screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines