• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash installer hijacks a browser.

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I needed to get a flash player for my firefox and after the installation the installer did its thing and opened google chrome for me with around 500 tabs and some stuff about downloading more stuff, how can i stop the flash installer from running programs against my will?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you used a malicious Flash Player installer.  The official Flash Player installer, downloaded from https:/get.adobe.com/flashplayer doesn't behaviour in the manner you describe.  Where did you download the installer from?  What is the name of the installer file you used to install Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site was: "Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player "

and the file name was: "flashplayer27_xa_install.exe"

Tought it was legit source when i got it from google, but then again it did hijack my computer to run unwanted programs to show some ads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the official Flash Player download page, and appears to be a valid file.  The last step of the Flash Player installation does launch the default browser, in your case it appears you have Chrome as the default browser, with an optional offer, but it won't open 'around 500 tabs' on it, unless you already had a bunch of tabs open, that weren't closed when Chrome launched after installation.  This has been standard behaviour for Flash Player installation, using the online/web installer (which you are using), for several years.  If you're experiencing something different, please provide more (specific) details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok, to make this clear: i am using google chrome for the majority of time as my default browser and only turn to firefox when im not working on something or doing something that requires more than regular usage from the rig. But why would you make me fill out an form to opt out from downoading unwanted software, then put an installer with all the bells and whistles up on my screen to make me jump trought the same hoops again only to RUN A PROGRAM ON MY COMPUTER AGAINST MY WILL. you mentioned that im using a "online/web installer" are there options that wont run unwanted programs on my system and cripple it while im trying to use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines