• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash not rendering in stable web site

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My client has a site at Menco which was working and has not been touched in several years (I am not the original developer). It has suddenly stopped working across multiple browsers and operating systems. I've personally tested on Safari, Firefox, and Chrome with the same results on different computers.

Perhaps there is an issue with the version, but I haven't been able so far to locate anything dealing with this as a potential issue.

The code below is an example of one of the pages that results in showing the "FAIL" message:

<div>

<!--Valid flash version 8.0-->

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,24" width="980" height="356">

<param name="movie" value="flash/header_v8.swf?button=1">

<param name="quality" value="high">

<param name="menu" value="false">

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

<!--[if !IE]> <-->

<object data="flash/header_v8.swf?button=1" width="980" height="356" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

<param name="quality" value="high">

<param name="menu" value="false">

<param name="pluginurl" value="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).

</object>

<!----> <!--[endif]---->

</object>

</div>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now see I had to actively allow flash from this specific site in my browser before it would run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I now see I had to actively allow flash from this specific site in my browser before it would run.

That is correct.  All major browser vendors have moved, or are moving, to a Flash click-to-play model.  Implementation and behaviour varies by browser.

Here's more information from Microsoft (for Edge), Google for Chrome (and, by extension, Chromium-based browsers), and Mozilla for Firefox:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially all major browser versions are disabling Flash by default and forcing users to enable it.  I visited the site in question, using Chrome.  After enabling Flash in the browser, for that site, and reloading the page, Flash content displayed.

To enable Flash in the various browsers, see:

You may want to modify the "FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this)" message to something else telling users they need to enable Flash in their browser.  <edit> Or modify the behaviour to something that aligns with the various browser implementations, so the browser prompts the user to enable Flash in the browser - see links in my subsequent comment.

All of the links above are posted at Flash Player Help .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines