Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

flash.ocx file not updating to the correct version

New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to update Flash Player to version 192 but the flash.ocx file doesn't update - it stays at a version slighter lower than 192. 156 to be exact.

This would be fine under normal circumstances but we are trying to obtain Cyber Essentials + and the scanning tool we are using is picking this up as a security risk.

Regards,

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows 7 and below:

This sounds like Flash Player was in use during the upgrade.  If Flash Player is in use during the upgrade the files in use can't be deleted.  In this case, the previous version files are marked for deletion (in the registry) and are deleted the next time the system is rebooted.

For Windows 8 and above:

Flash Player is distributed by Microsoft via Windows Update.  The update mechanism is controlled by Microsoft, and as such, Microsoft would be the ones to contact for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok silly question then why do Adobe still supply the updates then Maria. I tried Microsoft before I posted here and they said said as they're not MS files they wont open a ticket for us. So stuck really. Do I go back to MS and see what they say again ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

silly question then why do Adobe still supply the updates then Maria

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Adobe distributes Flash Player ActiveX Control for Windows 7 and below.  As of Windows 8 Microsoft embeds Flash Player ActiveX Control in IE and Edge (in Wind10) browsers.  To achieve this, Adobe provides the Flash Player ActiveX Control package to Microsoft.  Microsoft then embeds Flash Player in the browser and releases the updates via Windows Updates.  Adobe is not privy to how Microsoft embeds the ActiveX Control in their browser and the Windows Update technology is owned/managed by Microsoft.  Therefore, if a Windows Update for Flash Player ActiveX for IE/Edge is not working correctly, the individuals to contact would be Microsoft, not Adobe.

I tried Microsoft before I posted here and they said said as they're not MS files they wont open a ticket for us.

I'm actually not surprised by this.  I've seen similar posts on here in the past.  My guess is that some Microsoft folks on their support/forums site really don't have the best information on this, regardless that Microsoft has been embedding Flash Player in IE since the very first release of Windows 8.

Do I go back to MS and see what they say again ?

I would go back to them and escalate if you get push-back.    It's their update mechanism that is leaving previous version files behind, not Adobe's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly - i really appreciate it.

I will have another go at logging a ticket with Microsoft.

Thanks again,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a similar problem. Flash Player seems to be updated to the last version (now, 32.0.330) but the file Flash.ocx it's not updatet and shows in its properties the version 30.0..
This makes for my organization a security alert.
The last Adobe Flash Player Microsoft security updates were installed, I tried also to reinstall only Flash Player but the problem is still present.

Do you have any suggestion? Maybe this file refers to other Flash components that needs to be updated individually.

Could you help? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please contact Microsoft for assistance with Flash Player ActiveX Control updates for Windows 8.1/10.  As in my May 15, 2019 reply to the OP, Adobe is not involved in how Microsoft embeds Flash Player ActiveX Control in IE/Edge browsers on Windows 8.1/10, which includes how they display the version numbers in the Flash OCX file after updating. This is a question for Microsoft, not Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines