• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash offline after end of life

New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know that as of this December all web browsers will disable the Flash plugin and the plugin and player itself will both be pulled via Adobe, as well, via updates.

We’re tasked to find out if it is possible for a machine to be offline from the internet altogether and not receive updates and Flash to still work... or will it have “touch base” technology in the software that “checks home base” and disables if it doesn’t reach Adobe (similar to what MS and Apple do on some products).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this is for an enterprise so no hacks or work-a-rounds.  Just needing to know if it can work off-line...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This reply confused me more... so I read the Adobe PDF and Enterprise Enablement makes no sense... if Flash is deprecated and uninstalled by the browsers, how will it even exist to HAVE an Adobe whitelist post Dec 2020? Is this just for the June - December 2020 timeframe?

My question is this... can we take a Windows PC and shut off all internet traffic and just allow INTERNAL traffic so it will not update IE and Adobe Flash and therefore it will still use the old IE that allows Flash?  In other words, the machine wouldn't even know that Flash is deprecated.  Will that be possible?  Because we're thinking of having our end users use Citrix to remote internally into such a Windows PC that is offline from INTERNET traffic and they can run internally hosted flash content from there.  Will that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we can say for sure that Adobe won’t have planned for your scenario, have no interest in testing it, and that no effective testing can be done because we don’t know what future browser and system updates will do. It only takes one of them to introduce a timed block and your plans, already precipitous, tumble. It’s natural to look for loopholes but don’t expect anyone to offer you assurances about them...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our engineering partner Harman will be providing solutions and services for enteprise organizations that need to continue to run Flash after 2020.  They would be more than happy to talk to you about options. 

https://services.harman.com/partners/adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I do not need Harmon.  I have a very specific question regarding whether or not the Adobe software phones home.  Does anyone know the answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you didn't ask if it does phone home. You asked if it WILL phone home. That's a question about future plans nobody is likely to be in a position to answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK - so... my question... DOES it phone home today?  Because what our enterprise is thinking of doing is taking a machine TODAY and pulling it offline so that it only talks to our INTRANET (not the INTERNET).  Then, we'll have tens of thousands of users Citrix to that one box when the need to access a particular Flash based app.  So if it say offline from today onward, will it ever theoretically stop working?

I know this is a terrible idea... but my company is asking me to find out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines