• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 29.0.0.113 causing IE 11 on Windows 10 (64 bit) to hang and display "recover web page"

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be the same as outlined in the following bug but this one is NOT FIXED BY VERSION 29: Flash Player 27.0.0.159 causing IE 11 to recover web page

I attempted to log the bug here (https://tracker.adobe.com) but the form always responds with "Bug Submission Failed" and no reason given as to why it failed. Below is the info.

Flash Version: 29.0 (29.0.0.113)

Problem Description: Using the latest version of IE 11 on Windows 10 (64 bit) with all of the latest Windows updates. The web site in question uses flash components and it freezes after some usage time. Sometimes it freezes as it loads the flash-based forms (it is a ColdFusion site using Flash forms). The site does NOT freeze up when using IE 11 on Windows 7.

Steps to Reproduce: The web site becomes unresponsive at different times while using the application. Sometimes it freezes up while initializing flash forms. Other times the page appears to be loaded but then the user discovers that the browser is hung. Clicking on the page results in IE 11 displaying an error that the page is unresponsive and offers a button to "recover web page". Clicking that reloads the page and usually the Flash components load fine again. Use the app for a while again and it freezes again.

Actual Result: Web page freezes and IE 11 is unresponsive when using Windows 10 (also reported by users on Windows 8). Users on Windows 7 do not experience the lock-up.

Expected Result: Web page that uses Flash forms will work when using IE 11 on Windows 8 and Windows 10 as it does when using IE 11 on Windows 7. Flash forms will not lock up.

Any Workarounds: None. Users who have switched to using FireFox have found they do not experience the issue.

Hardware Info: Have seen the issue across a variety of hardware platforms. The common denominator is Windows 8 or newer and IE 11.

Operating System: Windows 8 or newer

Graphics Info: Systems have been updated with the latest video drivers available and the issue still occurs.

Failure Type: Crash

Frequency: 100% - Always (after some time navigating around the app)

Locale: English

I also have a dxdiag dump that I could share.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Hey, just wanted to follow up on this.  I was able to log in and poke around, but I was not able to reproduce the symptoms you're describing.  I followed up with a request for steps that might reproduce the problem, but didn't hear back.

My suspicion is that this is a product of specific GPO (Group Policy Object) settings that you've deployed to managed clients in your environment.

You could suss this out by trying to reproduce this on a stock Win10 image that doesn't have those GPOs applied (i.e.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any response from anyone at Adobe on this or any suggestions for how to move this along? I see that Adobe staff member jeromiec83223024 responded to the item I referenced as being very similar to my issue. jeromiec83223024, are you able to take a look at this one for me? The application is using Flash forms, rendered by Adobe's ColdFusion, and the app is almost unusable on Windows 10 with IE 11 due to the Flash components hanging and/or the whole browser page hanging. We DO NOT experience this issue when using Windows 7 with IE 11 when accessing exactly the same deployed application. I really need some help on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try to disable hardware acceleration on flash and/or browser to test if it's the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I disabled hardware acceleration but that is also not working. The issue persists. I have the latest Windows Updates, including the latest Flash on the latest IE 11 and I also ensured I have the latest updates for my video drivers. Note that I also tried the app using the latest version of FireFox and Flash within that browser also seems to work. It appears to be IE 11 running the latest Flash that is flaky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be happy to take a look.  Since our fix didn't fix your issue, it seems like it's a different issue.

Can you point me to a link that demonstrates the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Yes, but I have to set up a test account in our system for you and then populate it first with some test data before sharing with you. is there some way we can privately communicate credentials for login to this account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, thanks for doing that.  Just click on my username, and then click "Message".  It's on the right side of that grey horizontal bar with the menu options, under the profile details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. I've been in meetings all day and I wasn't able to get this ready for you today. I'll message you tomorrow when I have the environment ready for you. One thing I'll note is that since this last Flash update (29.0.0.113), this application has been very flaky and Flash and/or the browser freezes up all the time. Prior to that Flash update, it was still having a few Flash issues but not nearly as bad as it is now. Another thing I'll point out is that this app is a very old ColdFusion app that uses Flash forms for data entry all over the place. We've found the app doesn't really work well unless it's running under IE 11's Enterprise Mode. I'll be sure to include some directions in my message for configuring that for this site in IE 11. Despite all that, this latest version of Flash on Windows 10 sometimes even blows chunks when I'm not even within our application. it's just that our app with several Flash forms loading on a page at a time seems to really throw a wrench in the works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Messaged you with some info to get you started. Thanks again for your offer to help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, just wanted to follow up on this.  I was able to log in and poke around, but I was not able to reproduce the symptoms you're describing.  I followed up with a request for steps that might reproduce the problem, but didn't hear back.

My suspicion is that this is a product of specific GPO (Group Policy Object) settings that you've deployed to managed clients in your environment.

You could suss this out by trying to reproduce this on a stock Win10 image that doesn't have those GPOs applied (i.e. don't make it a member of your Windows domain).  If the issue doesn't reproduce there, then you can use the local policy editor to add your custom policies individually until you identify the culprit.

Other things I see with complex applications tend to come down to application logic issues.  A recent "escalation" had to do with an application where the company was basically loading their entire multi-gigabyte database into their application, instead of providing only windowed, relevant views of the data.  They were also using 32-bit browsers, and were hitting the 2GB per-process limit on addressable memory space. 

We see similar patterns a lot, where either applications are just loading ridiculous amounts of data (which is never used) into the client,  This has a huge impact on overall performance (consider garbage collection, where we have to walk a list of all of the instantiated objects to see what needs to be freed).

Alternatively, we frequently see scenarios where objects that get instantiated are never dereferenced, such that they *can* be freed by the garbage collector.  In that instance, the number of objects grows constantly as the application gets used, up until the process either runs out of memory, or where the number of managed objects just becomes so computationally expensive that the application grinds to a halt.

For those kinds of things, we provide a profiling tool called Adobe Scout, which would tell you useful things like "what's using all that memory?", "where's the application spending all of it's time?".   There are also some pathological situations in Flex where you can end up with the UI constantly resizing itself on every frame at specific screen resolutions and pixel depths due to floating point rounding errors and things.  If you see that the application is spending all of it's time in framework code, that's a pretty good indication that you need to look at those kinds of possibilities.  (Flex itself reached its end of life back in 2011, but we donated the code to Apache, and they've been updating it diligently for the last several years.  They're up to something like Flex 16 at this point, and as you can imagine, there have been more than a few bugfixes in that time.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie,

Thank you for spending time to look into this some more. I’ve been fighting another fire here the past several days so I apologize for not getting back to you when I saw your emails. That test account I set you up with access to has very little data in it. I, too, was not seeing the issue there in the brief testing I had done on that account. However, it doesn’t take a lot of data to get this to occur and I need to get in and add more data to that test account so we can both see it. I hope to get back to this in the next few days and I’ll work to get the issue reproduceable in that test account I gave you access to so you can see it and hopefully use your tools to see what’s causing the issue.

In the meantime, thank you VERY MUCH for your insight provided in this email. I cannot change my group policy settings on my work laptop so it’s will be difficult to try some of these things so I’m hoping I can get back to getting this issue reproduceable in that test account for you.

I’ll ping you again in the near future when I can reproduce and guide you with steps to reproduce. I’ll be more than happy to flag a correct answer for you when I’m able to isolate the issue and what must be done to remediate the problem.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve finally been able to get back to this issue over the past couple of days and I wanted to provide an update to you. The issue is reproducible in the test environment I gave you access to but I followed your suspicions laid out in your last post and attempted to reproduce the issue on a Windows 10 computer that is not part of our Windows domain. To my surprise, the issue did not exhibit on that box (Windows 10 Home with IE 11 running in Enterprise Mode emulating IE 8, which is what this old application requires). The application ran fine with no application/browser lock-ups. However, simultaneous testing in that environment from a PC on our network (with its myriad GPO policies applied) DID continue to exhibit the behavior. So, this would seem to confirm your suspicions. The problem I’m seeing seems to implicate some combination of specific GPO settings that we have on our managed clients in our Windows domain. I can only assume that our customers who experience this issue likely have a similar set of GPO settings and/or the specific settings that cause Flash and IE 11 to lock up. We have not yet figured out which setting/settings cause the issue but I'll post again if we do discover the culprit. Would you happen to know if there are specific GPO settings where we should concentrate our efforts? There are just so many differences in the GPO settings across the test systems and it may very-well be some combination of GPO settings and not just one that leads to the problem. I’m using Microsoft’s Policy Analyzer tool to compare GPO settings across systems and there are literally hundreds of differences.

I also note that today, 5/8/18, there is a critical security patch from Microsoft with, among other things, a fix for a Flash Player vulnerability (Adobe Flash Player KB Article: 4103729). I am not able to apply Windows Updates on my local client myself today (one of those GPO settings again) so I am not able to see if this patch does anything to help address the issue. I will try that patch when I can get the update pushed to my client.

If you have any insight into specific GPO settings we should concentrate our efforts on that would cause Flash and IE 11 to hang as described, please let me know as we hope to provide some kind of workaround to this issue for our end users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, that complexity is ultimately what's problematic.  There's no way to test against all of the possible permutations, nor could we guarantee compatibility with every combination you could dream up.  Assuming you had just 100 GPOs and they were all simply on/off, you're talking 10,000 possible states. 

If it's easy to restore those policies, you could take a binary search approach.  Delete half of the policies.  If the problem goes away, you know it's in that half.  Repeat until you figure out which one it is.  Assuming a few hundred policies, you should be able to get through it in under a dozen iterations.

Alternatively, if I can build a configuration that allows me to reproduce the hang here, then I can step through it with a debugger to understand what's actually causing the hang.  That may not necessarily tell you what GPO is in play.  I'll just know that "the call to WindowsAPI::Foo() doesn't return", or something like that.  Even with stepping through it, there's some guesswork, and you'd need to know what each of those GPOs actually does under the hood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines