• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 29 NPAPI Install Error 1722

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to deploy Adobe Flash Player 29 NPAPI via SCCM, after importing through the System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP). The deployment correctly detected a machine with Flash Player 27 on it. The install failed with "Error 1722 - There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected..." plus some additional text. This error has come up before in forums and threads for older versions. I get the same result interactively launching the MSI.

Of note, when I manually uninstalled version 27 from the Control Panel, version 29 installed without issue.

Is this just lousy uninstall behavior or do I have expectations that are unrealistic? Are newer versions engineered to install over the old ones?

Update: I read a bit more about the FlashInstall32.log (this is a 64-bit machine); When it fails I see: 00001161 which, if I've read other posts correctly, is error 1161 which indicates an attempted install over a beta version. Which requires a full uninstall first? If this is correct, then at least I understand the behavior, but it is still a bit odd as I do not believe a beta version was in use, (or if it was, it was unintentional) I am trying to confirm that.

I'm still interested in responses to my questions and feedback about my "theory" if it rings true for anyone else.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Thank you for the fast reply. I was able to confirm it was _likely_ a beta version, afterall, that I was installing over on this particular user's machine. I think it is going to be an isolated case in my environment. I can't easily recreate the scenario because the old version was since uninstalled. I'm willing to say that the "can't install new version over beta" is the issue until I come up against another failure to analyze.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error 1722 is a generic MSI error and doesn't tell us the true error.  To obtain the actual error we'll need to get the verbose msi log file (with v+x options enabled) and the corresponding Flash Install log files for the same installation attempt.  If you can reproduce the error, please do so, generating the log files.  The Flash install log files are saved at the following location:

• 32-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall32.log
  • 64-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall64.log AND C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall32.log - both files are required from a 64-bit OS

Upload the verbose MSI log file and the corresponding FlashInstall log file(s) to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud and post the link to the uploaded file in your reply

Is this just lousy uninstall behavior or do I have expectations that are unrealistic? Are newer versions engineered to install over the old ones?

It's not expected behaviour.  New versions should install over previous versions.

MSI installations keep a cache in either the client or the server. Is the cache file for version 27 still in the system or has it been deleted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the fast reply. I was able to confirm it was _likely_ a beta version, afterall, that I was installing over on this particular user's machine. I think it is going to be an isolated case in my environment. I can't easily recreate the scenario because the old version was since uninstalled. I'm willing to say that the "can't install new version over beta" is the issue until I come up against another failure to analyze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome and thank you for providing the additional information from the log file, it was very helpful.

For now, I'll mark your reply as correct.  If you encounter similar behaivour in the future, feel free to post to this topic and I'll receive a notification that there's new activity on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I read a bit more about the FlashInstall32.log (this is a 64-bit machine); When it fails I see: 00001161 which, if I've read other posts correctly, is error 1161 which indicates an attempted install over a beta version.

Error 1161 is indeed an attempt to install a release over a beta version, or vice versa.  The MSI GUID list for Adobe Flash Player page contains a list of all non-beta releases.  If the version installed is not listed on this page then it's a beta version.  The FlashInstall log file includes the version number being installed or uninstalled at the beginning/ending of each install/uninstall entry logged, for example:

=O====== M/28.0.0.161 2018-03-10+10-00-19.513 ========

The above is the start entry, and below is the ending of the entry.  Both have the version number and date/time stamp.

=X====== M/28.0.0.161 2018-03-10+10-00-22.142 ========

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines