• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 31 doesn't install via WSUS unless older version of Flash exists

Participant ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have imported the Flash Player catalog into WSUS and added the latest version of Flash Player 31. Machines that already have an older version of Flash Player installed are offered the new version via WSUS, however machines that do not have Flash Player installed full stop are not offered the new version.

I think there is a problem with your installable/installed rules in that they are assuming the relevant registry key exists instead of checking if the key exists first followed by the value it contains.

Can you amend your rules please so that installations which do not have Flash Player installed are offered the software? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There hasn't been any recent changes to the installer package, other than updating the MSI GUIDs.  Version 31 was released 2 weeks ago and we've not received these sort of reports, which usually indicates an isolated issue.

• Is this new behaviour to version 31 on your environment?
  • What is/are the client operating system(s)?
  • What Flash Player types (ActiveX, NPAPI, PPAPI) are you installing?
  • Please provide the FlashInstall and MSI install log files for the same installation attempt:
    • 32-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall32.log
    • 64-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstll64.log AND C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall32.log
    • MSI installer log with options v+x (verbose + additional logging) enabled
  • Do you modify the MSI file in any way (e.g. use a transform file)?  If so, provide the transform file and modified MSI installer

Upload the requested files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud​, or some other file sharing service of your choice that doesn't require user account access.  Post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.  Alternatively, you can private message me the link.  To send a private message, click on my user-name link and then on the 'Message' button link.  For reference, include a link to this discussion topic.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just downloaded Flash Player 31.0.0.148 through the catalog using WSUS Package Publisher. I have approved the update and those clients that already had the previous version installed are showing in WPP as "Downloaded", whereas those that don't have Flash Player installed full stop are showing as "Not Applicable". On those clients that are not applicable, I have tried to run Windows Update manually but it says there's no updates available from WSUS.

Comparing what the catalog provides to the MSI downloaded from the distribution5 page, the package rules are different.

PPAPI, Catalog (installed):

<bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPepper" Value="Version" Comparison="EqualTo" Data="31.0.0.148" RegType32="true"/>

PPAPI, Catalog (installable):

<Start AND>

<bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPepper" Value="Version" Comparison="LessThan" Data="31.0.0.148" RegType32="true"/>

<bar:RegKeyExists Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPepper" RegType32="true"/>

<End AND>

PPAPI, MSI (installed):

<msiar:MsiApplicationInstalled/>

PPAPI, MSI (installable):

<msiar:MsiApplicationInstallable/>

If I sack off the catalog and manually import the MSI without modifying any rules, the package is installed through WSUS on to clients that either don't have this version installed or have no version of Flash Player installed full stop.

This is a new behaviour since using the catalog. It's never been an issue previously because we have always manually imported the MSI and then added rules to the ActiveX package so it doesn't attempt to be installed on our Windows 10 clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Flash Player SCUP catalog is only intended to update software packages that already exist on a client system, not for first time installs. The MSI needs to be deployed directly to clients that need the first time install of Flash Player before applying updates via SCUP.  If you wish to support first time installs of Flash Player to the client system the SCUP rules can be modified to support that workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines