Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player & Shockwave animations

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am an Educator who relies on a library of excellent Shockwave animations.  When I play a shockwave animation at work(school), a box opens asking me to use Flash Player and then the animation plays.  At home on my iMac and Macbook, shockwave animations have stopped playing altogether.  I just can't imagine that so many educators would have to walk away from such a welth of excellent material.

My question is this:  How can I continue to use these shockwave animations on my Macs?  Does Flashplayer run them too?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player and Shockwave Player are 2 different technologies and require 2 different products to play back animations.

If you're being prompted to use Flash Player, then it sounds like the content you are attempting to view is Flash content, not Shockwave content. Shockwave content requires the Shockwave Player, not Flash Player, which Adobe discontinued for Mac in March 2017 (https://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/shockwave-end-of-life-faq.html).  If you have Shockwave Player at work, your work most likely has a license and is allowed to use Shockwave Player for the duration of the current contract (as per the linked FAQ)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the files that are prompting this “use flash” Option have a .swf extension on the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SWF files are the ones that need Flash Player. So they will run to the end of the year, then stop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware that Flash Player is going away at the end of the year? The producer of those animations needed to make them again. Contact them to find if they did this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines