• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player download

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been attempting to use Direct TV Online today after months of use with no problems.  All kinds of problems today, won't work through Chrome.  Downloaded Flash player as required and noticed something that puzzles me.  I saved download to default download folder and ran installation.  After install, I noticed the saved file in the download folder is gone.  I didn't delete it, so that there can only be one other explanation, you did (Adobe).  How do you ( Adobe) have access to my computer, deleting files, and who knows what else.  How do I know you don't search my hard drive for other information during the install.  It's bad enough that your downloads add junk installs along with the flash player.  We have no choice but to install because some other companies can't seem to operate without your software, so I guess we're stuck with it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018
Have been attempting to use Direct TV Online today after months of use with no problems.  All kinds of problems today, won't work through Chrome.

Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome, there is no need to install it separately.  Google also blocks Flash by default on Chrome, forcing users to allow it, usually for each site.  After enabling Flash, when the user exits out of Chrome, Google deletes the user's Flash settings, so the next time the user launches Chrome and wants to view Flash on a page

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been attempting to use Direct TV Online today after months of use with no problems.  All kinds of problems today, won't work through Chrome.

Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome, there is no need to install it separately.  Google also blocks Flash by default on Chrome, forcing users to allow it, usually for each site.  After enabling Flash, when the user exits out of Chrome, Google deletes the user's Flash settings, so the next time the user launches Chrome and wants to view Flash on a page they previously allowed, the user needs to allow it again.  This is a Chrome implementation and has nothing to do with Adobe.  For more information see section 2.10 in Flash Roadmap - The Chromium Projects

<edit>  For assistance enabling Flash in Chrome, see Use or fix Flash audio & video - Computer - Google Chrome Help   If you continue to experience issues with enabling Flash in Chrome, please  Chrome's support page at Google Chrome Help  and/ or contact Google at Report an issue or send feedback on Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help

After install, I noticed the saved file in the download folder is gone. didn't delete it, so that there can only be one other explanation, you did (Adobe).  How do you ( Adobe) have access to my computer, deleting files, and who knows what else.

The online installer is a shim installer that downloads and installs Flash (and whatever third party offerings the user elected to download) silently in the background.  After installation is complete, the installer deletes itself.  Nothing else nefarious is happening.  Adobe isn't searching your hard drive for anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanations.  So, if flash is embedded in Chrome, should I uninstall the flash player I installed separately, and does having this installation as well as the Chrome embedded installation create conflicts that would prevent the Direct TV player from loading properly?  I don't understand why if Chrome already has Flash embedded, Direct TV automatically requires you to follow their link to download Flash Player and install it before installing and running the Direct TV player (Cisco VideoGuard) the 1st time and subsequently everytime after that the dialog box appears telling you to either enable or install Flash Player before loading the Direct TV player.  The hyperlink to enable would not work when I was having problems trying to steam video, that's why I choose the link to download Flash Player and install again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's no conflict, just not necessary to install it separately.

I don't understand why if Chrome already has Flash embedded, Direct TV automatically requires you to follow their link to download Flash Player and install it before installing and running the Direct TV player (Cisco VideoGuard) the 1st time and subsequently everytime after that the dialog box appears telling you to either enable or install Flash Player before loading the Direct TV player.

Flash is embedded, but Chrome has it disabled/blocked it, forcing users to enable it. In this case, it's possible Direct TV hasn't updated their Flash detection to handle Chrome's new behaviour.  This new behaviour is in Chrome 69, which was released a few weeks ago.

Future releases of Chrome, Firefox, etc, are going to create more friction with Flash, until Flash is end-of-lifed at the end of 2020.  Content developers need to keep up with the changes the browsers are making, with regards to Flash, and Flash detection and make necessary changes to their code to be compatible with the browser changes.  Eventually, they're going to need to come up with a different solution, as all browsers will block Flash at the end of 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines