• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player installation fails

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had the most recent version of Flash Player -- at least I downloaded it and tried to install it the last time I got a notice that there was a new version.  Apparently that's not so -- today while I was checking to see what Microsoft updates were installed over night, I found a message saying I either do not have Flash Player installed, or it is disabled.  There was an option to install the latest version, so I clicked on that.  When it finished downloading, I clicked "run" and got the following message:

In order for Flash Player to be installed or updated, any programs that use Flash Player must be closed.  This includes Internet Explorer or other browsers, instant messengers, Skype, etc.

These programs may be running in the background, not as visible windows, but need to be closed anyway.

To close such programs use the Windows Task Manager.  To start Task Manager, take any of the following actions:

• Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
  • Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
  • Right-click an empty area of the taskbar, and then click Task Manager.

Once the Task Manager is running, select the Processes tab.  On older Windows version you may need to click on the Process Name or Image Name header to sort the process names.

Now right-click on every process that the Flash Player installer needs to close (e.g. iexplore.exe), then select End Process.

Task manager tells me there are 61 "processes,"  but not one of them is a browser, instant messenger, Skype, etc.:  how am I to know which processes need to be ended?    The example (iexplore.exe) looks like it is a program, but the processes on MY list do not have "exe" extensions.   Is a "process" the same thing as a "program?"

I'll appreciate any enlightenment you can offer;  since the time I thought I had installed a new Flash Player version, I've had to activate it manually every time we have wanted a site that uses it.  Thanks.

OS is Windows 7 Pro;  Internet Explorer is version 11 (11.0.9600.18697);  Chrome is version 59.0.3071.104 (64 bit)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please post a screenshot of the message you got once you clicked on run button. Also if you could post the url from where you downloaded Flash Player.

To get the latest version of Flash Player, please go to Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions page in IE browser and download the same. Chrome comes with Flash Player embedded and all updates of Flash Player are pushed by Google as part of Chrome updates. If Flash Player is disabled for Chrome please follow steps mentioned on Enable Flash Player for Google Chrome page. If you still face issues please go through Adobe Flash isn't working - Google Chrome Help .

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alicea8030221

If the message you posted was the exact message in the installer you used, it was not a legitimate Flash Player installer.  None of the official Flash Player installers have that detailed of a message.  Here are screenshots of the official Flash Player installers (web and standalone) when a process:

web installer:

standalone/offline installer:

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 7.54.24 AM.jpg

If the message you got was not this, then you are using a non-official installer, which is most likely malicious.  If you do have the the full URL to the page where you downloaded it from, please private message it to ridhijain or myself and we'll send it to the security/fraud team, or send it directly to phishing@adobe.com.  Also, I highly recommend you run a full anti-virus, malware, adware, etc scan on your system.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I cut-and-pasted that message – it is exactly what was sent to me. I will try to find it for you, but I’m not sure I can. . Meantime, I have run a full Hitman Pro scan with no reported results. Pretty panicked now..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, again. I haven’t had time to retrace my steps and try to find out how I got that page (and I promise I WILL try to do that), but in the meantime—just in case it is information you can use—I’m attaching a copy of the log from the Hitman Pro scan I did that found the “threats.” I’d appreciate it if you can tell me whether these look like the kinds of malicious items you would have expected me to find and whether you think removal of them makes my pc safe again.

Finally, now what do I do about getting Flash Player to work? Do I go to Adobe and download a new version from scratch? Will that UN-install all the possible old versions of Flash Player that might be on the machine? (I cannot find ANYTHING that looks like it was recently downloaded—not the one Adobe told me about and not the one I found a few days ago, so I can’t be UN-installing myself).

Thanks for your help

aa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes, I would recommend you run the uninstaller once. The uninstaller is available on Uninstall Flash Player for Windows page. After running the uninstaller you can download and install the latest version of Flash Player. Since you are having a Vista machine, we are having some issues installing online installer on Vista, please download the offline installer "Flash Player for Opera and Chromium-based browsers PPAPI" under 'Stil having problems section' on Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier page.

It would be really helpful if you could reproduce the steps and provide the url so that we can report about the phishing.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will take your advice about the uninstaller, and I will try to reproduce the source of the bad installation for you, but it may take me a few days. Apparently I did have some kind of invasion as a result of that installation, and since then I’ve had other problems with the pc, which I guess I will have to take up with Microsoft.

fyi, I’m running Windows 7, not Vista – will that affect your advice concerning the “Installation problems” page?

again, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI alicea8030221

We're not training in HitManPro, nor how to read their log file.  There are numerous support forums online to assist users with cleaning their system from vulnerabilities.  I recommend using one of those services.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU asked me to research where I got the bad update info – do you want that for your fraud division, or not?

YOU advised me to get the pc scanned for invasions, and YOU invited me to respond to you. I had no intention of hi-jacking anything; was simply seeking your help. Can you help me with flash player installation or not? Can you advise me about this fraudulent update to flash player or not? Would you like my cooperation, or not?

Now that my pc seems to have been invaded by my good-faith effort to update, and I have followed your advice to date, why do you feel the need to chastise me?

YOUR email to me invites me to respond in this manner – I assume you will get this yourself. Do you have to post it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU asked me to research where I got the bad update info – do you want that for your fraud division, or not?

This I did ask for.  If you have it, private message it to me or the other staff member, of you can send it directly to phishing@adobe.com

If you have this information, private message it to me or the other staff member and we'll forward it to the Fraud & Security team.

YOU advised me to get the pc scanned for invasions, and YOU invited me to respond to you.  I had no intention of hi-jacking anything;  was simply seeking your help.  Can you help me with flash player installation or not?  Can you advise me about this fraudulent update to flash player or not?  Would you like my cooperation, or not?

Now that my pc seems to have been invaded by my good-faith effort to update, and I have followed your advice to date, why do you feel the need to chastise me?

YOUR email to me invites me to respond in this manner – I assume you will get this yourself.  Do you have to post it?

My comment (#8) about hijacking the discussion was to the OP, comment #4, who's post is NOT related to your issue.  It was not directed to you.

I did recommend you scan your system for threats, but did not ask you do send files relating to any threats, as that is beyond the scope of the Flash Player forums, and not my area of expertise.  We recommend this to folks all the time who unfortunately were mislead into downloading and running a malicious Flash Player installer, but we never ask them to send us log files, and none have ever sent us threat scan files.  I apologize if my comment was misconstrued as inviting you to send us the threat scan log files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how would I “private message it to ?” As I said before, I may be able to accomplish this, but it won’t be right away, since my pc has been compromised. Is this your only response?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To send a private message, click on a user name link then on the 'Message' button link.

Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do in this situation, aside from collecting the malicious site URL and sending it to the Fraud & Security team, which they then judiciously follow-up on. It's not in Adobe's, or our customer's, interest to have malicious installers, for any Adobe product, being distributed by malicious actors and Adobe is very much interested in removing these installers from the internet.

My colleague's recommendation to perform a clean uninstall before re-installing is appropriate.

I am sorry you were tricked into installing a fake/malicious installer that has had negative impact on your system.  I have seen some of these malicious installers and sometimes their branding is so similar to Adobe's that it is difficult to tell it's not official.  I can totally see were an unsuspecting user wouldn't know the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now I cannot back up OR access my back up source. Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy. The latest versionalways fails to install. The one I have starts 11 something the new one 26 or 28 I can't

{

"message": "Request Error",

"status": 0,

"type": "Ajax Error (status: 0)"

}

I have Vista (32 bit) and using Opera browser.
Reading around the NET no one is getting an answer.
The usual try other browers etc. There's 1000s of us who now cannot see any Twitter vid or Facebook and WE have changed nothing.
Any chance of a REAL solution? As opposed to disabling this that and the other (which doesn't work e.g. disabling Adblock +)
Clearing cahes etc. Nonsense. How about a real answer so that HURRAH - this actually works or Hurrah THIS is the fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jampsl28122395

Please don't hijack someone's discussion with a non-related issues.  Normally I would branch your post to a new discussion topic, but there have been additional posts beyond yours and I'm not sure if I branch your post, if the other posts will go with it, which are not related to your issue.  In order to receive assistance, please start a new discussion topic for your issue, which is again, unrelated to the topic you posted to.  To start a new discussion go to Installing Flash Player​, scroll down and click on the 'Start a new discussion' link.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what? I thought you asked me for that info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unrelated issue?
Tell you what's unrelated. Issues and you solving them.
Could you be more offensively aggressive to someone who is frustrated as all hell with getting videos to play?
Well done. Customer relations not your major, was it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jampsl28122395

Posting an unrelated issue to a discussion topic, and thus hijacking a topic, is very rude to the OP and everyone else trying to help the OP, not to mention bad forum etiquette, as it makes it difficult for users to follow the tow disparate issues.

I'm sorry you are experiencing issues trying to watch videos, and am more than happy to assist you with your issue, posted to a new discussion topic (instructions previously posted) with the following information provided:

• Operating system version
  • Web browser and version
  • Flash Player version
  • Explain your problem in step-by-step detail if possible
    • If applicable, provide a direct link to the site exhibiting the behaviour being observed
  • If you get error messages, please provide a screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines