• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player is not working in chrome how do i fix it?

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash player is not working in chrome.

I have reinstalled chrome and i have selected the option so flash always can run from following this guide Enable Flash Player for Chrome

Still not working. I can watch youtube but not twitch if that helps

This is the PC i'm using Core i7-6850K 3.6GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G, Define S ATX Mid Tower - My first PC ...

I'm using windows 10 education

How do i get it to work?

TOPICS
Browser , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

@gregk13186206 ,

Thanks for posting that screenshot.  Very helpful.  Yes, indeed the pepflashplayer.dll file should be there.  That is the Flash Player file for Chrome. Please try the following:

• delete the 23.0.0.166 directory
  • launch chrome and navigate to Flash content
  • does it download and install Flash Player, in the same ~\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash directory?

Note: AppData is a hidden directory, if you don't see it see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to get a few screenshots from you.  Launch Chrome and do the following:

• Navigate to chrome://help:  What is the version installed?
  • Navigate to chrome://plugins click the '+Details' link at the top right to display the plugin details
    • Take a screenshot of the Flash Player plugin entry details
  • Navigate to chrome://components and look for pepper_flash).
    • Take a screenshot of the pepper_flash entry details

See How do I attache a screenshot for information on taking and posting screenshot.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with Flash Player 23 and Chrome.

Keep getting the same error message:  "Couldn't Load Plugin"

I am using Windows 7.

Note:  I am able to play videos on Internet Explorer.  They will not play on Google Chrome.  (I use Google Chrome.)

I have followed your advice from this forum and nothing seems to work:

I have enabled Adobe Shockwave Flash 23 and checked the box:  Always allowed to run.

I have removed and reinstalled Google Chrome.

Nothing seems to work.

Here are my screen shots including the error message I see on many websites & videos:

Couldn

Google Chrome Version.JPGGoogle Chrome Plugins; Screenshot.JPGGoogle Chrome Components; Screenshot.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://imgur.com/a/Js3Vc

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:38 PM, gregk13186206 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gregk13186206

Please don't post the same issue to multiple topics.  i see your topic at Chrome & Flash Player 23 "Couldn't Load Plugin" error messages; Videos won't play. .  Posting the same thing to multiple topics creates confusion when folks are trying to assist you as they end up assisting you in mulitple locations.  While you may not get a reply right away, posting to multiple locations really doesn't help.    Since you posted your screenshot here, and not at the other topic, I am locking the other topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize.  I am new to this forum and was not sure how to post information.

I got an email that stated that my post on this thread was rejected so I started a new thread.

Sorry for the mix up.  I will join in this thread.

Do you have any suggestions for correcting my Flash Player 23 issue with Chrome based on the screen shots I have listed?

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not sure why your post was rejected as there was nothing wrong with it.

I don't have any suggestions for Chrome at the moment, aside from using a browser other than Chrome.  I have escalated the issue and am awaiting a reply. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Please keep me and everyone else updated when you get an answer/solution.

In the meantime, could you please comment on the following ideas for correcting this FlashPlayer issue.  Some of these ideas have been discussed on your site:

1. Should I try and possibly install an older version of Flash Player?
  2. I have also suggestions to rename the file:   pepflashplayer.dll        Is this an option?
  3. Could the program "AdBlock" be causing an issue with FlashPlayer?  I have had AdBlock installed on my computer for over a year and never had this problem until the latest FlashPlayer update.
  4. Lastly, could Java be causing an issue with FlashPlayer?  Again, I have had Java installed on my computer for many years and never had an issue playing videos with FlashPlayer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Should I try and possibly install an older version of Flash Player?
    • Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and all updates are released from them. Installing an older version would result in an automatic update to the newer version. I'm not aware of an option to stop Google from updating Flash Player
  2. I have also suggestions to rename the file:   pepflashplayer.dll        Is this an option?
    • Not sure where you're getting this from.  It could be something completely unrelated, but you could try it.  I'm not able to reproduce the behaviour described so I can't test out this theory.
  3. Could the program "AdBlock" be causing an issue with FlashPlayer?  I have had AdBlock installed on my computer for over a year and never had this problem until the latest FlashPlayer update.
    • The reference to the ad-blockers has to do with the optional offerings in the download page.  While many ads are Flash Player ads ad-blocker completely blocks the ad.  You wouldn't even see the "couldn't load plugin" error you are seeing.  But, it's harmless enough for you try.
  4. Lastly, could Java be causing an issue with FlashPlayer?  Again, I have had Java installed on my computer for many years and never had an issue playing videos with FlashPlayer.
    • Java and Flash Player are two completely distinct and separate programs with no impact on each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered something which may be very important.

I do not have a pepperflash.dll file on my computer

Could this be the cause of my issue with flash player?

Here is my screenshot of this:

Missing Google pepperflash.dll file.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gregk13186206 ,

Thanks for posting that screenshot.  Very helpful.  Yes, indeed the pepflashplayer.dll file should be there.  That is the Flash Player file for Chrome. Please try the following:

• delete the 23.0.0.166 directory
  • launch chrome and navigate to Flash content
  • does it download and install Flash Player, in the same ~\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash directory?

Note: AppData is a hidden directory, if you don't see it see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files to display hidden files/folders.

We have escalated this to Google and your screenshot will be very helpful.  I'll forward it to them.

--

Maria

<edited to include link to show hidden files/folders>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've also been having problems with flash in Chrome since the last update.  I've been following this thread and there's a few ongoing at Google as well.  I actually have pepperflash.dll in the file location so I thought this information might be helpful.  Thanks.

pf.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jeremylh

Google saves Flash Player to two different locations.  The location you posted, in Program Files, and the User's AppData directory.  To find out which location Chrome is loading Flash Player from (not sure if you've done this yet or not) launch Chrome and navigate to chrome://plugins.  Click +Details in the upper right to display the plugin details (if not already displayed).  Look for Flash Player and then the Path entry.  Is this the same location as your screenshot (Program Files) or is it the User's AppData directory?  If it's not the Program Files directory go to this location and see which files are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked.  Thanks Marla. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, jeremylh

We're trying to nail down the issue with Google.  Can you tell me what directory Chrome was loading pepflashplayer.dll from on your system?  I'm assuming you deleted this directory and then viewed Flash content so that Chrome downloaded the plugin again, yes?

Thank you in advance.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marla,

I navigated to the file path from chrome://plugins Adobe Flash Player

C:\Users\Jeremy\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\23.0.0.166\pepflashplayer.dll

pepflashplayer.dll was not there so I deleted the directory (23.0.0.166) and closed Windows Explorer and Chrome. 

I then added a step (not sure it did anything), but I first went to chrome://components and updated pepperflash - it still said component not updated.  So I navigated to some flash content and it appeared to be working on some stuff.  However, I didn't see anything downloading or installing.  I then closed Windows Explorer and Chrome again - now everything plays.  I cant recall, but I also may have turned off Ad Block Plus at first to see if that was interfering.  However, it's turned back on and again, everything plays fine.

pf2.jpg

pepflashplayer.dll now in the directory.  Take a look at the dated modified though, odd. 

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the additional information.  I will forward it to our contact at Google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just followed your instructions and my flash player is working perfectly

The "pepperflashplayer.dll" file is now in the 23.0.0.166 directory folder.

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gregk13186206

Thank you for confirming, and for posting that screenshot which was key.  Sorry it took so long to resolve.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Maria!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same chrome flash player problem.  It was fine and then suddenly I can no longer play candy crush.  I can play with IE though.

I do not see and answer to the problem.

Thanks

[moderator:  deleted personal information, as per forum policy]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Follow the steps mentioned on Use or fix Flash audio & video - Computer - Google Chrome Help page.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are investigating.  Thus far I've been unable to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works in fire fox but not fox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines