Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player keeps crashing/freezing

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

for like two weeks, whenever i use this website (https://xat.com), the flash player keeps crashing randomly. As a result of that i'm not able to start the chat box anymore, it's just frozen (see screenshot: https://prnt.sc/i69ve5).

The browser i use is Opera: 50.0.2762.67  (it doesn't happen with others browsers)

The flash version i use is: 28.0.0.137

To solve this i do either reinstall flash player and restart browser or i can remove the files in appdata/adobe/flash player.

However both of this options are dumping all flash files and it still keeps crashing, so the fix doesn't last for too long.

What else could i do? This is really very annoying.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system is this on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to https://xat.com using Windows 10, Opera 50.0.2762.67 (PGO) and the latest version of Flash, 28.0.0.137,

I get the following page:

Right-click on the puzzle-piece and select 'Enable Flash'

Prompted to reload the browser, which I do, and then the following page displays:

At what point does the black screen display?

Please do the following:

• Go to opera://settings
  • In the search field, enter flash
  • Which radio button option is selected?
    • alternatively, post a screenshot of the option selected
  • Click Manage exceptions...
  • Is there a hostname pattern in the list?  If so, what is in the 'Allow' column?
    • alternatively, post a screenshot of the list of Flash exceptions

See https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7043#jive_content_id_How_do_I_attach_a_screenshot for instructions on taking and posting screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm familiar with this things, and flash is enabled for xat.

Setting is: "Ask first before allowing sites to run Flash (recommended)".

I'm able to chat and the next moment it just crashes randomly, e.g. let's say i have one chat open and then start a new one in a new tab, and the new one will just be black. The chat i have opened i can still use until refresh, once i refresh, it'll be black too.

The only way to fix this:

"To solve this i do either reinstall flash player and restart browser or i can remove the files in appdata/adobe/flash player.

However both of this options are dumping all flash files and it still keeps crashing, so the fix doesn't last for too long."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is your issue coming from this chat only or other flash applications on other websites?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, might be just the xat chat.

Although, i tried this https://prnt.sc/i8uc6i , and couldn't see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Shockwave Player is not the same as Adobe Flash Player.  See Frequently Asked Questions for Adobe Shockwave Player  for the difference between the two.

You can use Adobe -  Flash Player or Flash Player Help  to check your Flash Player installation (assuming Flash is enabled in the browser).

Are you sure a connection to chat is being made?  You're first screenshot is not complete and omits some areas of the window.

I went to Loja chat group - Trade your xats, days, powers and IDs - International chat  and at first the chat window and all Flash content areas did not display.  I noticed the 'Connecting...' status.

I waited for a bit, and the connection never succeeded. I thought this might be due to corporate network settings.  I connected to the internet using a less secure network connection and the page eventually displayed when it finished loading:

The only time I'm able to reproduce anything close to the black screen in screenshot is when the page is loading.  After it loads, the content displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, about shockwave, i just googled 'flash player test' after getting that issue and just got to that.

Anyway, i am 100% sure it's not related to connection.

I don't think this is easy to reproduce either, it happens randomly and it might not affect all opera users.

Is there anything i can do to get more info while i'm having this issue, something that is giving me more info, like errors perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try the following tech notes:

<edit>

I searched through some of the posts on the xat forums and there seems to be quite a few folks reporting similar issue there (one user eluded to a disk space issue).  Have you contacted xat support for assistance?  Does this app/site support Opera?  I searched the site, but didn't find tech specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm familiar with xat, and also giving xat support.

There's no issue like this, i have enough disk space though.

What i just noticed is, whenever this happens, some other websites are also starting to have issues (not all like youtube).

For example i went to the second link of yours, and this is how the page looks:

https://prnt.sc/i914jr

if i reload the page, it looks normal

http://prntscr.com/i914ma

if i reload again, its broken again and so on.

Also on this page: http://prntscr.com/i916js  ; and for example also the editor here: http://prntscr.com/i916u3

Not sure if this is related to the issue i have with the xat chats.

But this is also fixed if i reinstall flash and restart the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have any other extensions in opera itself? like anti malware or realtime virus or else?

also do you have access to the source code of xat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As opera extension i have Ublock (which blocks ads and malicious stuff).

Apart of that i use avira antivir, which has real-time protection.

If by source coude, you mean the page source from a group page, that's it: [HTML] <!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/h - Pastebin.com

Apart of that i can't see any other codes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try with Ublock and antivir disabled?

about source I meant As3 code as you are giving xat support...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youtube defaulted to HTML5 video several years ago.  I don't know if they still use Flash video as a back-up, but it does default to HTML5.  None of the pages on these screenshots have Flash content.  For the last one (the forums screenshot), This looks like some issues we experienced on the forums several months ago (extremely slow page loads).  It was a Jive issue, but I don't have the details.

Are all your drivers (graphics, video, etc) up-to-date?

Did you go through the troubleshooting steps on Flash Player video playback issues 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried disabling ublock and antivir, didn't help. And no i don't know about As3.

Graphic drivers are up to date.

I went to the troubleshooting steps and and non-html5 video doesn't show up, the html5 one works fine:

"See the following videos in an HTML5 supported browser.

"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens in Chrome too, so apparently chromium browsers only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apparently Chrome has its own flash player. So no need to try to get Adobe flash to work when using Google chrome. I was recently tring to watch movie trailers on VUDU while from Google Chrome browser, and of course the flash player error message kept coming up to ad the extension. But I was able to solve the problem and was able to watch the movie trailers. I had to open the chrome browser go to the settings. The 3 little periods stack vertically top right corner. Get the drop down window click on settings. Then in the search bar of the settings> type Flash go to content settings>click on flash. There you can ad the web site to allow google chrome to use the flash player. Hopefully this resolves other situations. thanks [moderator: deleted personal information as per forums policy]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, Google Chrome bundles it's own Flash Player, which is encapsulated from the rest of the system.

For other Chromium browsers, you'll need to install the PPAPI plug-in, and in the instance that the system-wide PPAPI plug-in is newer than what's bundled in Chrome (this is fairly rare, unless you're in an enterprise or something), then Chrome will prefer the newer version.

Here are the official Google instructions for enabling Flash Player in Chrome and Opera (for a Chromium-specific example):

Use or fix Flash audio & video - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Enable Flash Player for Opera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines