• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player keeps prompting to install on macOS 10.14 (Mojave)

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a MacBook Pro running on MacOS 10.14.2 (Mojave), the Adobe Flash Player asks me to install an update and I do so, the very next day it keeps asking me to again update and does not stop asking until I install again, then even after I install second time it keeps popping up and asking me to update. I have also re-started the browser, that too does not help. Basically it is not storing or recognising the updates.

Thereby, the problem seems to be that it is not recognising the update done but keeps disturbing with the pop up asking to update. Any solutions? Any reason for this to happen. All help highly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I branched your post to a new discussion a topic as recent browser changes with regards to Flash make your post not relevant to the original topic.

Essentially all browser vendors block Flash by default, forcing users to 'allow' it, usually every time.  In the case of Chrome, the user's 'allow' settings are deleted when the user exits out of Chrome.  It's possible this is what you are experiencing.  https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html contains links to instructions to enable Flash in the various supported browsers.

If he above doesn't work provide the following:

• browser you are using
  • exact link to content that is not working
  • screenshot of the System Preferences > Flash Player > Updates tab
  • screenshot of the update notification that keeps displaying

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Maria

Thank you for your prompt response. It was useful to get an idea of the issue involved. I am using Firefox, as I learnt from the link you shared, Firefox has changed its options, and requests permission for FP which I could accept or not etc. However, I am not sure if the problem with regard to the download reminder that keeps popping up even though the latest update has been updated would be solved due to this as in the Add-ons -> Plug-ins FP is not listed, so it means (I assume) that it is installed.

I just went through the System Admin options as suggested by you, and just now have updated PPAPI plug in version 31.0.0.122 (though earlier also it showed the same version, it said it needed updating!!), hopefully with the updating from Sys Adm, hopefully this should stop the constant reminder for updating. i will keep my fingers crossed and hope it is solved.

Thank you again, really appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately even after the Sys Adm update, I keep getting the update reminder popping up. As per Adobe FaQs Firefox asks for using the plug-in only when needed, there is no standard setting. So it seems more as a bug in the Adobe Flash Player rather than any setting. I mean it is not able to check the update version to check if I have already the latest version so it keeps asking me to update, even when I have the latest version installed.

I am attaching the screenshot of the pop up that comes.

Screenshot 2019-02-02 19.30.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should bear in mind that there are three Flash Players: one for each of the major browsers. Each one is separate.

So, you can update your FireFox Flash Player, but the others are still out of date, and you still get the message. And, if you click Download, it runs your DEFAULT browser, not necessarily the right one.

So, just ignore it. Or if you ever ran Chrome run it now.

Or, check the actual versions installed of Chrome files (DLLs). This is advanced stuff but we can help you with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GRACIELA S. BONOFINI ha compartido una carpeta de OneDrive con usted. Para verla, haga clic en el vínculo siguiente.

<moderator: links to personal content removed>

VERGONZANTE................MAS DE 30 hotmail y no solucionaron mi problema ????..................DEBERÍAN SENTIR VERGUENZA..............................UN DIA ENTERO AQUI SENTADA...................COMIENZO OTRO DÍAY YO AQUI SIN UNA SOLUCIÓN SIMPLE Y CLARA....................ME AVERGUENZO DE HABER HECHO QUITAR AL TECNICO LO QUE EL HABIA CONFIGURADO...................ARREPENTIDA MILLONES DE VECES PEDIRLE QUE QUERIA ADOBE FLASH PLAYER OTRA VEZ....................................no entiendo que pasa ?...no entiendonadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......hartaaaaaaaaaa q me pasearon por Todas las páginas y ninguna medió una solución........................SIMPLE Y CLARA..........preguntas y preguntas y preguntas y paginas enteras para leer y anotar..............nadaaaaaaaaaaaaaa me dió resultado..................hartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,,,estoy sin dormir................ y ustedes no me solucionaron una ACTIVACIÓN ????????????????????????'..................V E R G O N Z A N T E !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies I do not know Spanish (?). Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nooooo...nada que ver...nosé...ni idea como sehace unacaptura de pantalla. Solo sé que no entiendo, comoes posible con losaben todos el equipo, a mi resulte tan difícil,recibir ayuda en este tema....simplemente activar elproducto que detiene todos los videos en facebook y algunos juegos......pero ya está ....la verdad de tanto estar horas en la PC.....desperté hecha bolsa de las cervicales y tengo tanto dolor, que también la cabeza explota.................basta ....no puedo tomarme tan enserio y que deteriore mi salud...hagan lo q les parese a Uds............aaaaaaaaah................................no solucionan ???..............................no envíen mas correos.......para que ???...

Sldos..................................................

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reply to my my comment on your post at issues with Flash Player  until you provide that information, we cannot help you.

Please stop posting the same thing to a topic not related to your problem

--using Google Translate--

Responda a mi comentario sobre su publicación en issues with Flash Player hasta que proporcione esa información, no podemos ayudarlo.

Por favor, deje de publicar lo mismo en un tema que no esté relacionado con su problema.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this clarification! I used to use Chrome earlier, made Firefox my default browser due to various factors. Will try making chrome default once again and see if this persists.

The issue is that it is not a problem to keep clicking "remind me later" but it become irritating when doing some serious work. So want to stop that pop up even after updating.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pradeepesteves

Please post a screenshot of the System Preferences > Flash Player > Updates tab as previously requested.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria

Attaching the Sys Adm screenshot as requested:Screenshot 2019-02-07 17.15.32.png

Hope this would help solve the problem. Thank you for your support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pradeepesteves

Thank you very much for the screenshot.  Very helpful.  The reason you keep getting prompted to update is because the non-embedded PPAPI plugin version is very old.  The most recent version is 32.0.0.114, however, you have version 31.0.0.122 installed and you have selected to be prompted to install updates, instead of having them installed silently in the background, thus Flash is prompting you that an update is available.

If you're only PPAPI-supported browser is Chrome there is no need to install Flash Player PPAPI plugin separately, as Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome.  In this case, I would recommend uninstalling the PPAPI plugin and using the embedded PPAPI plugin.  Unfortunately, on Mac, there is no way to only uninstall one of the plugins, so you would uninstall both the NPAPI & PPAPI plugins and then re-install the NPAPI plugin (for Firefox, Safari).

To download the uninstaller, go to Uninstall Flash Player for Mac OS

To download the NPAPI installer, using Firefox or Safari, go to Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

I would also recommend selecting the option 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)'.  This is the background update option and updates all plugins installed on the system within 24 hours of a new version being available (assuming an active internet connection).  The option you currently have selected (Notify me to install updates) can take up to 7 days to notify that an update is available, and only updates one plugin type at a time, resulting in multiple update notification, if more than one plugin type is installed.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria, responding very late as I was on a long travel. In the meanwhile I tried your suggestion and wanted to give my feedback. Hope it will help others and also the developers.

The uninstall flashplayer which I downloaded did not work - meaning it did not uninstall and the same NPAPI and PPAPI numbers kept showing. However, what I did was that I made the update default and voila, it updated both the NPAPI and PPAPI to the same versions and the pop up asking for installing the flashplayer has stopped.

Thank you for your support. All the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the follow-up and no worries on the delay.

The uninstall flashplayer which I downloaded did not work - meaning it did not uninstall and the same NPAPI and PPAPI

I've not seen this happen with the uninstaller.  If you still happen to have the file, please upload it to Document Cloud (How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud ) and post the link to the uploaded file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for still supporting. I did find the dmg file I had downloaded and tried to uninstall. The link is:

Adobe Document Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems as others, running El Capitan.  The reminders show up at obnoxiously short intervals, and stop input processes until the reminder is dismissed. 

I'm quite puzzled by the fact that Adobe has a "silent installer" that can install in all browsers, and replace any outdated plugins ... Yet, those of us who prefer to know when new software has been installed in our computers, so ask to do the installations ourselves, are stuck with crippled installers that end up requiring various manual interventions when plugins need to be upgraded, etc.  And are pests in the bargain. 

Please help me understand why you can't supply an installer that does what the silent installer does?  Otherwise, I will be inclined to believe that you are giving us crippled installers, with their pesty side effects, so that we will give up on doing our own installations.  And that's rude!

FWIW, I run security software that could very well keep your silent installer from succeeding unless I am there to intermediate.  That software caught unsigned code in your current manual installer, and tried to talk me out of allowing the installation.  By rights, I should have heeded the warning ... but decided to trust you instead.  Foolish me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me understand why you can't supply an installer that does what the silent installer does?

Background Updates also update one player type at a time, just like the notification update workflow, the end user simply doesn't experience that because it happens silently in the background. On a Mac, if both the NPAPI and PPAPI plugin are installed, when the Background Update daemon runs to check for an update and encounters one, it updates the NPAPI plugin.  Then when the daemon runs again, one hour later, it encounters an update for the PPAPI plugin and updates the PPAPI plugin at that time.  This is completely obfuscated from the user as it happens silently, in the background, therefore, the user doesn't realize that it's 2 separate updates happening, not one.

The reminders show up at obnoxiously short intervals,

What is 'obnoxiously short intervals'?  The notification update shouldn't display multiple times per day, for the same plugin type.

To provide more information, we need to know which player types are installed on your system.  Please provide a screenshot of the Flash Player Settings Manager > Updates tab (System Preferences > Flash Player)

That software caught unsigned code in your current manual installer, and tried to talk me out of allowing the installation.

All installers are automatically signed at build-time and verified that they are signed prior to release.  Please provide the exact file name, if you still have it, of the installer that was not signed and I'll investigate further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obnoxiously short intervals:

I'm quite certain that, recently, I had one set of interruptions in which I was interrupted three times within 15 minutes, followed by two more - all in less than an hour.   Several other times I've had similar, repeated interruptions. 

I don't know which installer threw the unsigned code complaint. I may be able to repeat the problem if I reinstall everything again.  No way to tell but by trying.  I'll see if I can find the time to try it. 

I hate silent update installations!  I've had too many episodes of silent updates suddenly causing problems, and a few times when knowledge of the new installations would have saved hours!  How about you build notifications into your installers, with a setting that allows people to choose a silent installation?  Do that, and I'll be happy to leave the installations to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate silent update installations!

Totally understandable.   Many people like control over their systems.  With that said, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera browsers all update silently in the background.

How about you build notifications into your installers, with a setting that allows people to choose a silent installation?

This feature already exists in 2 places:

1. At installation time
  2. In the System Preferences > Flash Player > Updates tab

The option is 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)'

Please provide the screenshot I previously requested (System Preferences > Flash Player > Updates tab).  This will indicate which Flash Player types (NPAPI and/or PPAPI) are installed and the version installed.  The most recent version is 32.0.0.142 (released on Tues Feb 12). The most recent previous version was 32.0.0.114 (released Jan 8, 2019).  If a version installed is lower than the most current, then you're being prompted to update that version

Flash Player updates shouldn't be prompting for an update that often.  Please upload the FlashPlayerInstallManager.log file, saved at ~/Library/Logs/FlashPlayerInstallManager.log) to cloud.acrobat.com (see How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud ), or some other file sharing service of your choice that doesn't require a user account to access.  Post the link to the uploaded file in your reply.  The file will be fairly large.  Please do not copy & paste the contents in your reply.

Also, please provide a screenshot of the update notification dialog window.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, and this is really making me angry.  My browser just closed (again) as I was typing this reply, so I had to re-launch and start over. This is not acceptable.  I would remove Flash entirely if I didn't need it for Vsphere.  

I am running Mojave, and here is a screen shot of my Flash Player system preferences: 

flashPlayer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player 32.0.0.293 is the most recent version, released earlier this week.

You've posted to a discussion topic that is about 9 months old and I don't want to make assumptions for your situation based on what someone else posted.  Please provide details for your specific situation.

When is the update notification displaying?  Providing exact steps to reproduct the behaviour is very helpful.  Also, post a screenshot of the notification you are receiving.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted to this thread because I am having the same issue that the other posters have reported. 

This has happened about 4 or 5 times in the past 3 hours, and is disrupting my work flow.  It closes Firefox and Safari.  It has never happened before today. Here's a screen shot of the message: 

flashPlayerupdatemsg.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not an official Flash Player update notification.  The one posted by OP further up in the discussion topic is the official Flash Player update notifciation (black dialog window).

This notification is coming from some malicious source.  Is it only happening on specific websites, or any website?  

See this post, https://community.adobe.com/t5/Flash-Player/VIRUS-with-new-Adobe-Flash-installer/m-p/9338748#M193666, by my colleague regarding situations such as yours.  Unfortauantely, the formatting (no line/paragraph breaks) makes the post difficult to read.  Adobe recently switched to a new community forum providor and it seems like formatting in older messages was affected in the transition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran a virus scan using Avast Security, it found no viruses. 

Per your previous reply, I am on the latest version of Flash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines