• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player kills chrome browser

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, I installed the latest version of Flash Player.

At the end of the installation it asked me to restart the chrome.

Once I opened the chrome again I discovered that it died completelly...
It not only doesn't open any of the web pages, but it's not even able to open the page of its own settings!!

I uninstalled Flash Player and reinstalled chrome with reboot - no effect.

I completelly uninstalled chrome, erased all its data and reinstalled it again with reboot - no effect.

I tried to install the older version (71.0.3578.80) of chrome and it worked as usual untill the update it run antomatically. Once it was updated it stopped to work.

The issue is urgent, I need chrome back for my work as soon as possible.
Any help would be appreciated

TOPICS
Browser , Error , Product issue , Update

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with the behavior you are describing and it doesn't sound like something the official Flash Player installer would do.  What web site did you download Flash from?

Do note that Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and there is no need to install it separately.  Google does block Flash by default in Chrome.  See https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6258784 for information on how to allow Flash in Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply
I downloaded the player from http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer. Looks like a regular link. Disabled as usual McAfee sugestions, downloaded installer and it set the player. Nothing special.

I agree, that it's a very strange behaviour but the fact is that it's an only change in the system configuratin I did at that moment and it leaded to chrome's crush.

I installed flash on Sunday, so I tried to go back to restore point that was automatically created on Friday. It restored system files and registry but the problem persist. Chrome still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an explanation and the solution as well.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/how-to-fix-aw-snap-crash-in-google-chrome-78/

Obviously, your player just enforced me to relaunch the browser and then chrome updated itself to the latest.

Both of these triggered the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the link.  Sounds like Flash Player isn't the culprit, but when restarting Chrome, Chrome updated itself, which then triggered the behavior you're experiencing due to a bug in Symantec Endpoint Protection.

If you're only Chromium-based browser is Chrome (e.g you don't have Brave, etc installed), there really is no reason to install Flash Player PPAPI plugin manually as Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and all updates are released by Google, resulting in one less piece of software for you to manage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines