Flash player stops working (not 'Flash player has crashed') multiple times daily

New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer was just fine. Then, about 2 months ago, Flash Player simply stopped working. I downloaded it again, and it was fine. For about three hours. Then it stopped working. This is getting annoying and I shouldn't have to download the Flash Player three and four times each day.

Does anyone know what is going on? HELP!

Thank you in advance.

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To provide assistance, please provide the following information:

• Operating system version
  • Web browser and version
  • Flash Player version
  • Explain your problem in step-by-step detail if possible
  • A direct link to a web page that demonstrates the problem
  • If you get error messages, please provide a screenshot

Note that all major browser vendors block Flash by default, forcing the user to enable it, usually on a per domain basis (e.g. helpx.adobe.com is different from www.adobe.com).  In the case of Chrome, Chrome deletes the users allow settings when the user exits out of the browser, forcing the user to 'allow' Flash again in a subsequent session.  Additionally, the browser relies on the content's Flash detection code to detect if the content contains Flash in order to prompt the user to allow Flash.  If the content's Flash detection doesn't conform to the browser's requirements, the browser won't know to prompt the user to allow Flash.

Once the requested information is received, we'll investigate further.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using Firefox. And it was okay until Recently.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide all of the previously requested information

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the major US browsers block Flash by default.  Many do not store your choice to allow Flash Player to run; however, you shouldn't have to reinstall.

Here's a rundown on how to enable Flash in the various supported browsers:

Flash Player Help

Flash Player isn't just going to magically evaporate from the system.  My suspicion is that reinstalling isn't actually necessary, but if it is, then *something* is causing that to happen.  That's probably going to be self-inflicted, like an off-brand "security" tool that runs on a schedule, or maybe some kind of problem with the underlying storage.

There's not much here in the way of information that might tell me what the reason is, nor is it straightforward to diagnose.

Sanity checking the health of your machine is a good place to start.  If the disk is failing already, giving it a good workout might push it over the edge, so you'd be wise to make sure your backups are in order for any critical data first.

Check your hard disk for errors - Windows 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2641432

If everything looks good there, you might run a good trustworthy malware scanner and/or antivirus tool.  Malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org) is free and well-regarded.  It seems plausible that malware might attempt to downgrade the installed version of Flash, and/or mangling the Flash installation is just a bad side-effect of something it's attempting to do.

If both of those look good and nothing shows up, creating a new windows user (as an experiment), and reinstalling Flash and Firefox there would be an interesting test.  If everything is good on that user profile (and stays good), then you've either got something running that's damaging the Firefox preferences or Flash installation on your other user account, or something is mangled with the Windows Registry, Firefox Profile data, etc.

At that point, a pristine install of Firefox and Flash would be my next steps, but you're getting to the point where if your new user works, simply migrating your stuff to the new user might be faster and easier than continuing to try and figure out why the other one is problematic.

Also, I'm assuming this is a home machine and not a work one.  If it's a member of an enterprise domain, it might be time for a conversation with your friendly helpdesk staff.  They may be killing it intentionally via a network policy or something.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines