flash player uninstall issues on mac

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 10.13.6 Mac and ive been trying to uninstall the flash player so that i can view content that involves videos for work. I had to install the flash player to view this content years ago and now its not letting me view it without uninstalling flash player. ive been through the prompts several times and it says that my uninstall is successful on safari but still pre-installed for chrome. When i go back to the content, it still shows the same error screen with an "I" that tells me i need to uninstall (on both browsers).

TOPICS
Browser, End of life, Error, How to, OS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021
My suspicion is that that error message might also be erroneous.  It's coming from the logic on the webpage, which may or may not work correctly.  If you ran the Flash Player uninstaller and it completed, it's probably gone.  You can look under /Library/Internet Plug-Ins to see if FlashPlayer.plugin is there.  If it is, you can try dragging it into the trash (my suspicion is that this will fail because it's either corrupt or in-use).  If that happens, reboot into safe mode to prevent anything ...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome.  Adobe's uninstallers don't remove browser-embedded Flash Players.

Googgle will be removing Flash Player from Chrome 88, scheduled to be released sometime this month.  See https://www.chromium.org/flash-roadmap for more information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My suspicion is that that error message might also be erroneous.  It's coming from the logic on the webpage, which may or may not work correctly.  If you ran the Flash Player uninstaller and it completed, it's probably gone.  You can look under /Library/Internet Plug-Ins to see if FlashPlayer.plugin is there.  If it is, you can try dragging it into the trash (my suspicion is that this will fail because it's either corrupt or in-use). 

If that happens, reboot into safe mode to prevent anything from loading, try deleting it again immediately after logging in, then reboot again to get out of safe mode.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines