Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player use after 2020

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have to access one web page to use the web interface that allows control of my music server and depends on Flash.

I am not concerned with security, just to continue with the functionality.

I planned to download an old version of a browser such as Mozilla, thinking that saving this and turning off updates would allow me to continue to use the interface. However, my concern is that my laptop is from 2011 and if I save and re-launch after 2020 on another device that it will automatically update on all major browsers (most use Chromium).

Can you think of any solution please to help me-I could for example download an old version of Firefox, or another browser for this task as it is not being updated anymore? 

Best regards

Stephen
TOPICS
Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Yeah, you're going to want to use some kind of "freeze a working stack of technology in time" approach, and then probably make sure that it only talks to your music server.  There's no guarantee that a Flash Player from 2020 is going to work on future operating system versions (that's work that we're constantly doing behind the scenes), so you'd probably want to build a virtual machine image where everything works, and that you know will run in emulation on whatever the latest thing you're runni

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you're going to want to use some kind of "freeze a working stack of technology in time" approach, and then probably make sure that it only talks to your music server.  There's no guarantee that a Flash Player from 2020 is going to work on future operating system versions (that's work that we're constantly doing behind the scenes), so you'd probably want to build a virtual machine image where everything works, and that you know will run in emulation on whatever the latest thing you're running is.

The alternative would be to jettison the Flash-based UI and replace it with something build in HTML5 and JavaScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have to admit to some confusion regarding what will happen after flash becomes obsolete.  I teach and develop training and use powerpoint with embedded flash files for interaction.  I output the presentation to PDF and then place the animations in the PDF using Acrobat.  I suppose I'll have to migrate to captivate and start using powerpoint animations instead (yuck) but I'm hoping tI'll figure out other options as I research this more thorougly.  However, the confusion is related to folks who keep saying to use HTML5 and Java to create animations.  It won't be long until browsers no longer support Java as it's an even worse security risk than Flash.  What's a developer to do?  My guess is that Captivate outputs animations as either shockwave or java as well so Captivate doesn't seem like the long-term solution.  What's a content developer to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines