• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash & Shockwave don't work Win 7 (64bit), IE8 (32bit), Chrome, Firefox

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded using the standard site, uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed.  Doesn't work.  Flash shows in control panel/programs, but shockwave doesn't.  I tried installing using the alternate, but same results.  Is there any more information that you need to help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same trouble with chrome it will work for a while then it will stop working and chome will freeze up and say the flash plug has stopped working and then I get that awe snap icon and i can't do anything. With IE8 when I try to download flashplayer it will not load and it will give a message due to a malicious addon ie8 has blocked it from down loading

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Download and SAVE the Uninstaller to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then download the Installer for IE and SAVE to your Desktop:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Then download the Installer for Firefox from the same site and SAVE it to your Desktop.

Close all browsers, disable any messenger services in the system tray(area near the clock). Depending on which Anti-Virus/Firewall program you use, you may need to disable those. Some will block the download of the ActiveX Control for Flash Player in IE.

Run the Uninstaller and when finished, Reboot(restart) your computer, then run the Installer for IE, then the Installer for Firefox and then Reboot.

You can test each browser here and you should see the Flash logo animation and the Flash Player version.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for offering a solution.  I followed your instructions to the letter.  The final step (testing the player) resulted in a resquest "this website wants to install the following add-on: 'Adobe Flash Player' from ..."

I din't click to install it because your instructions indicated that it should work at that point.

Do you have any other suggestions that might help?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well so far so good:-) When you went to the Adobe test site, did both IE and FF tell you that you needed an add on?

Also let's go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back all files listed. The NPSWF files, you will need to right click on and then click on Properties to obtain the version #'s. I need that info.

Then using IE, go to Tools, Manage addons and look under "Show"(very light text) Look in "All addons" and "Run without Permission" for Shockwave Flash Object. I need to know if it is listed, Enabled and what version.

Using FF, go to plugins and make sure Shockwave Flash (SWF) is listed and Enabled.

Thanks,

eidnolb

I am going for dinner but will check your thread in a bit. Just go ahead and get that info for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in FF.  This file is called FlashInstall.log.  There aren't any NPSWF files.  Shockwave Flash Object was not listed In Manage Addins.  Also, before i got your second set of instructions I tried to install the active x add on.  I got an error that said "Windows has found a problem with this file.  SWFLASH.CAB"  I couldn't find plugins on FF.

Message was edited by: colblack481 Removed the unreadable text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the FlashInstall.log is very difficult to read in that format. A lot of activity however, that may indicate several different problems and may be a Registry issue.

Did you have a Flash folder at all and were there any Flash files installed in it? I know you said that there wasn't any browser addons for IE or FF and there should have been.

Also at some time you must have used the DLM(download manager), so you may have some of their addons also in the browsers.

Are you the Administrator and did you use that Administrator Account when Uninstalling & Installing?

If you do not have a Flash folder and no Flash files in it, then did you receive any error messages this time when you followed my instructions to Uninstall/Install?

You may need to use the SubInACL to try to correct the Registry, however, you MUST be the Administrator and use that account.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  There was a flash folder, but the only file is the log I attached.

2.  I did use the DLM along the way.  I'm not sure where those files might be.

3.  I am Administrator and did use that account for everything, including install & uninstall.

4.  I got the error message "Windows has found a problem with this file.  SWFLASH.CAB"

5.  I will be happy to try SublnACL.  What is it?

Thank you so much for helping with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. Well that explains why Flash Player is not working, it isn't Installed!!! Sorry, don't mean to be blunt.

The DLM(download manager) causes problems. Take a look in Programs & Features for it and or a getplus entry. If either or both are listed, click on Remove and when that is finished, Reboot.

You can go to IE in the addons and see if there is a get_atlcom Class, getplus or a DLM control listed. Usually by removing the DLM from Programs & Features also removes these addons.

One or more may also be in the FF plugins/addons/extensions. So you would need to remove them manually or disable at the least.

Something blocked the Install, that is clear. It is not now that something is conflicting, it's that Flash Player did not Install.

Here is the link for the SubInACL. I have never used it myself but it is somewhat technical. Pat had a tip for someone and I'll try to find it. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html       Read that over. From memory there is a directory that Microsoft or Windows makes. I'll try to find that info for you.

I'd check on that DLM etc also.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Did you Install the 64bit Flash Player beta before? And did you use the 32bit to Install the last time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I'm not sure exactly what happened, but before I read your latest post, I tried the test got the Active X warning at the top of the page.  I clicked to intall and it acted like it installed and I got the flash icon movement.  Then I did the same on FF and it asked to install a plugin.  I did and got the same results.  Now flash seems to be working on all 3 browsers.  The only thing I did differently was to uninstall Shockwave.  I tried to install Shockwave again and got the error "Xtra package download error 125".  Shall I start a different thread for that problem?

I'm happy it works, but just wish I knew why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well I'm just as puzzled as you. I can understand getting a message from the test site to Install the ActiveX Control addon or the plugin, but that would not have Installed the Flash Player files in the Flash folder. Or did you do that before testing again?

Are you speaking of the Shockwave Player, which is separate from the Flash Player?

You don't need to start a different thread. Easier just to stay here, since all of your info is here:-) The Good, Bad & the Ugly, LOL Just kidding.

Well, I agree, glad it's working. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, LOL

Let me know what you mean by "Shockwave" That term can mean different things and we want to be on the same page.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did install Flash before I got the ActiveX warning.  By Shockwave I mean Adobe Shockwave Player.  I tried to play a game that needed the shockwave player

I installed Shockwave from the Adobe site on IE and got the error message "Xtra package download error 125".

I tried the game in Chrome and it started to install the player but froze.

I tried the game in FF and same

I tried the game in IE and same.

By the way I see the flash and the flash plugin and adobe shockwave in Programs & Features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for solving that mystery!! on the Install of FP. Ok, yes Shockwave Player is needed for certain games and even some websites use it in addition of Flash Player: ESPN is one.

Hold off on doing anything further on Shockwave Player. I think I may have some info on that. Seems like there is always a tweak of some kind. That error you received may indicate you tried the wrong link? If not, then as I recall there is a certain procedure to use.

If you need to sign off for the night, that's fine. I'll find that info and post it.

If we can get Shockwave Player up and working, then I'd say you are all set:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help.  I will sign off for tonight and will check back tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Yes it is getting late. There was some discussion about Uninstalling Shockwave Player first.

I don't need Shockwave Player but I would Uninstall it, Reboot. Then I would download and SAVE it to my Desktop, close all browsers then Run the Installer from my Desktop. In other words, Uninstall/Install just as I would Flash Player.

This is a site that has the Uninstaller that you can SAVE to your Desktop:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/webplayers/webplayers_shockwave

This is the link for Installing Shockwave Player:

http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

Test site for Shockwave Player:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ 

Just a note, watch if there are any Google Toolbars or "extras" that you may not want on the Installer site. Sometimes you have to UNcheck some extras more than once.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2011 Jan 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions and got errors.  The only download available to save was for Netscape and it was the full.  There wasn't a download for IE.

I uninstalled using the saved to desktop version from your link.

I installed using the saved to desktop version for Netscape and got this error

Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy.  More information at:  http://nsis.sf.net.NSIS_Error

I installed usin the web site install for Windows and got this error

Xtra package download error 125

I clicked OK then got this message

The application requires and Xtra (Flash Movie...) that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly.  Please make sure the appropriate Xtras are in the Xtras folder(s).

I used your link to test and got a message "Installation complete", but there isn't any animation playing.

Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5 is in Programs & Features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry you are having problems with this. Sounds quite confusing to me and I don't know why. I just checked my laptop and I DO have Shockwave Player Installed! I'll do some checking on that and get back to you. There were changes made in Sept 2010; I made note of them, but didn't read the why of it, etc. I don't have it on my Desktop, which is my work computer.

After all of that you managed to Install it and it's in Programs & Features. Now, Shockwave Player has an addon just as Flash Player does in the browser. Look in your manage addons (plugins for FF) for Shockwave ActiveX Control and see if it is there,

enabled and if the version # matches the version you just Installed.

I just noticed that in my post to you on the link that I said was for the Uninstaller, was WRONG!! I have all of my Shockwave Player info in a folder and clicked on the wrong link. I'm sorry, that was the link for the forum! Good grief!

This is the correct link: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/         (Just in case you need it) I wouldn't do anything further with this until we see where you are.

The "application needs Xtra"... I don't know about that but that could have been something included in the Sept 2010 changes.

Just as soon as I check my laptop SW info, I'll get back to you.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FF has Shockwave Flash v 10.1.102.64 and Shockwave for Director 11.5.9.615.

IE has Shockwave Flash Object 10/1/102/64 and Shockwave ActiveX Controller 11.5.9.615

I downloaded the uninstaller you mentioned in your post.  I'll wait for further instructions before running it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your update. Glad you have both of the Shockwave Player addons/plugins. Did you see my SW file info that I have on my laptop?

You may want to check yours and see if you have the same.

From what I have found so far, is that the "Xtras" came with the version of 11. It was included and Installed with the version 10 of SW. There may be a way to separately Install this, so far what I have read was given for a Developer creating content with Director. I'm sure if this is needed for the end user and isn't Installed with the main program, then there is a way to Install it.

I need to go out for awhile and will continue when returning.

If you want, you can see if you can find anything on the forum(the link I posted to you instead of the Uninstaller link)

I have more links to search, and will do so asap.

My laptop had been set up by someone else, so I don't have first hand knowledge of how it was done. It is vs 11.5.7.609 and I have not bothered to update to the latest, since I use my Desktop 95% of the time.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, an update. Go to  C:\Windows\system32\Adobe\Shockwave  Open Shockwave. I just checked mine and I have 12 files(entries) PLUS an Xtras folder. The Xtras folder contains 7 files (entries) I also have the Shockwave ActiveX Control in my IE addons. (I don't use FF, but I would think a Shockwave plugin would be there also)

Continuing to get more info on this. What I am looking for is whether there is a difference in what is needed for SW Player for an end user and what a Developer would need Installed regarding files. I know that Shockwave Player is needed for viewing what Adobe Director has created, as games, interactive demonstrations, online learning, etc. Logically, one that creates this web content would need much more.

I don't recall anyone having any problem with Shockwave Player before, so want to check that out.

If you have anything to add, please do!! I'm always learning:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't have the folder Adobe in C:\Windows\system32.  So can't check the files.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think this may be helpful. See what you think. 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/884/cpsid_88402.html

I also am of the opinion that Flash Player is a lot less complicated than Shockwave Player

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this before, but did so again.  I got the same results with the error about xtra package...

I'm sorry it took so long to answer, but I managed to freeze adobe web sites.  I shutdown walked away and just came back to try and install again with the results I just mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, LOL about walking away!! Remind me not to try helping on the Shockwave Player forum!!!! I have read several of the threads on that forum, but from what I could tell, it is mostly devoted to Developers that use the Adobe Director and not to end users that simply want to Install SW. I really don't understand if in order to Install SW Player, the Xtras are needed, then why isn't it clear on how that is accomplished?  Talk about best kept secrets:-)

If you go to this site: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/      Do you still get that message about the Xtras? Also are you using the 32bit browser and not the 64bit browser? You problably are, but just wanted to ask so I know.

Also I read that the "slim" version does not Install the Xtras.

I really don't know much else to suggest as my understanding of SW evidently is limited!!

You may want to start a thread on the SW forum and maybe you can get the info needed on how to Install SW and or the Xtras.

At least they would have helpers that know more about SW Player than I do, LOL

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do get the message about xtras.

I am using IE8 (32 bit)

I tried both slim and full, but not sure what I tried today.

I'll go to the thread you mentioned and check.  Thanks for all your help

I'll sign off and say we are done with this thread

My flash problems are solved.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines