• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FLASH UPDATES CONTAINS ADWARE

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My iMac prompted to update my Flash Player (my settings are to allow Adobe to install).  The download was identified as containing adware (Mughthesec).  I removed the file and went directly to Adobe.com logged into my account and downloaded the Flash Update directly from Adobe.com (https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_32_Mac_for_Safari_and_Firefox_-_NPAPI&stype...).  This file also was identified as containing the same adware.

In researching this I've seen a lot of posts regarding fake links for flash updates containing adware.

I've come to two conclusings:

1.  The valid flash update file from Adobe.com scanned with the three separate applications I've used for identify malware/adware and being trigged incorrectly; or

2. Adobe is included adware within their updates for business and marking without advising users.

I'd appreciate if you could clarify this issue.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same experience, but fortunately my setting is for Flash Player to inform me and let me install. In my case, Clean My Mac popped up immediately after the Adobe file had downloaded and informed me I had downloaded "Snake," described as a "Backdoor" piece of malware. I'm wondering if this is a Flash Player problem or a Clean My Mac problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's for the post. I put the same question to CleanMyMac.  I'll update when I get a response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also sent a tech support request to MacPaw for Clean My Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Thanks for this. Same problem here with 'mugthesec'. of course it happens on the day when i need to write my academic paper! 

Hopefully its resolved soon.

Jak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting.  Flash Player installers are run through hundreds of tests including virus/adware/etc testing numerous times along the pipeline to end user delivery.  If something were to report positive along the pipeline it'd be removed immediately and not delivered to the end-user.

This post has been reported and we're looking into this.  With that said, I've downloaded the installer linked above, uploaded it to VirusTotal and nothing was detected.  Results are at https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/6e28682b1b9bcb9b3363af9fbeac3e3c04218446f8b6cb36d3d4bad7c823c1b7.... You can try the same with the file you downloaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have any updates on this please? I'm too having my flash update flagged for 'Mughthesec' and will not be installing until I know Adobe is not trying to slip adware through the back door.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked that the file you downloaded has an Adobe signature? That's your protection against a fake being slipped in. Attacks take many forms, even infected wifi routers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.... does this suggest the file is good and this must be a Macpaw issue with CleanMyMacX?

CDHash=3ba11928ac42adff5251ec9f2bd35ec31f14f189
Signature size=8990
Authority=Developer ID Application: Adobe Inc. (JQ525L2MZD)
Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA
Timestamp=25 Aug 2020 at 21:43:59
Info.plist=not bound
TeamIdentifier=JQ525L2MZD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have fired off a ticket with them. I'll update the page when I hear from them. Thanks for your help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able for very the signature and am sure there are not issues.

Funny thing though, this time CleanMyMac identifed OSX bundlore adware.  I've sent them a ticket told them if they didn't correct their software I would stop using and demand a refund.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We area aware of this issue and CleanMyMac is the only vendor flagging the installer as malicious.  the signature information posted above is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines