• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash wants to install new helper

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was updating Mac Flash, I did it via the system preference pane. As usual it downloaded an installation disc image, I double clicked it as usual, it downloaded and I was asked for permission to run it which I provided. Then towards the end it asked me for the first time ever if I wanted to install a 'new helper app'. Smelling a potential rat and aware of malware packaged versions of Flash updates I clicked cancel. I had to do that several times and again when it was finished.

Can anyone advise if this was a kosher thing and what the nature of this 'helper app' might be? If this method of accessing the update site is feeding malware you have a problem. I'm running Sierra on a mid 2010 macbook pro.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Hi,

This is your OS prompting for your computer's user ID (admin user) and password - if you're an admin user, it's the User ID and password you use to log into your system.  This is NOT your Adobe ID.  Please see What userid & password do I need to install Flash Player? for assistance.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to the following dialog, it is legitimate:

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 3.09.42 PM.jpg

This is a change in terminology as of macOS 10.12 due to the APIs in use.  It's a system dialog, as such, the text couldn't be modified to what it was before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification.

However,  I still can't login in.   I use the same name and password I use for my Adobe account.   After that is entered, all that happens is the box "shakes", and I cannot proceed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is your OS prompting for your computer's user ID (admin user) and password - if you're an admin user, it's the User ID and password you use to log into your system.  This is NOT your Adobe ID.  Please see What userid & password do I need to install Flash Player? for assistance.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buddy Thank you very much for taking your time. It was very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem for a while now and couldn't figure it out. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Not sure what information you're attempting to convey.  Please be more specific.  Providing the following information (in detail), will help us help you:

• Operating system version
  • Web browser and version
  • Flash Player version
  • Explain your problem in step-by-step detail if possible
  • A direct link to a web page that demonstrates the problem
  • If you get error messages, please provide a screenshot

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem.

Did you get it resolved.

Still have not been able to install the Flashdrive on my Mac - OS10.11

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines