• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash won't work on United Airlines - Need to downgrade to ver. 29

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to use the United Airlines entertainment platform on my Microsoft Surface because United does not support devices that have Flash higher than ver. 29, as well as some other parameters.

I tried to uninstall the current Flash (which is ver. 32) but I think it is integrated into Internet Explorer 11 and cannot be undone.  

Perhaps if I use Chrome (which United DOES support) I can get to a ver. 29 or older Flash and use it there ?

PLEASE HELP  ! 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to use the United Airlines entertainment platform on my Microsoft Surface because United does not support devices that have Flash higher than ver. 29, as well as some other parameters.

It seems rather odd that there would be an upper limit on the version of Flash.  Usually it's the other way around.  I've never seen a situation where a content creator enacts an upper limit on the version of Flash that is supported.

What is the exact link to the content you are attempting to view?

I tried to uninstall the current Flash (which is ver. 32) but I think it is integrated into Internet Explorer 11 and cannot be undone.

As of Windows 8, Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE (and Edge on Windows 10) and the embedded version cannot be uninstalled

Google also embeds Flash in Chrome and only loads the most recent version of Flash.  If you install a previous version of Flash Player PPAPI for chromium-based browsers, Chrome will not load it.

Another option is to use Firefox for Opera and install the previous version of the NPAPI plugin (Firefox) or PPAPI (Opera), however, using out-dated versions of Flash is not recommended (especially on an internet-connected machine) due to security vulnerabilities that have been fixed in subsequent versions of Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I obtain the proper NPAPI plugin for Firefox — (I am using Firefox ver 51)

and then, how to install on a Microsoft Surface ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked after installing Firefox 51 and the existing Plugin shows as: “Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0”

Is this the same as Adobe Flash and is it equivalent (or less) than “Adobe Flash" version 29 ?

Thanks !

Unfortunately, I can’t test whether this solution will work until I am actually on the airplane - United Airlines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player 20 is very old (released  over 3 years ago).  It's not recommended to run Flash Player 20 (or 29), especially on internet connected machines.

You can obtain Flash Player 29 on the Archived Adobe Flash Player versions page.   Scroll down to the most recent Flash Player 29 version.  This is a ZIP file that contains all versions of Flash Player for that given release.

Can you please provide the exact link to the content you are attempting to view, and post a screenshot of the behaviour you are observing when attempting to view the content with Flash Player 32?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's far, far more likely, is that you need to just active Flash Player in your browser.

Flash Player Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you looked at supported devices and browsers info on the United airlines webpage there are very specific exceptions and rules regarding which browsers, devices and flash players are required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player is backwards-compatible (and in-fact, bug-for-bug backwards compatible).  Reverting to an old version means that you're browsing the web with known security vulnerabilities.  They're giving you bad advice.

The reason they're showing you the message at all (instead of just playing the content) is because they're trying to invoke Flash, but they're not detecting it.  Most browsers in the US now block Flash by default.  This is a relatively new thing, and the assumption previously is that if you couldn't detect Flash from JavaScript, it wasn't installed.  It's now almost always installed, but not activated, but the content hasn't caught up with the reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I did take a look at those system requirements, and they seem really odd.  I think maybe what happened is that we had a specific update that temporarily broke GoGo's in-flight stuff, but I'm not aware of any ongoing issues in that vein.  I think this is just stale/sub-optimal messaging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem for years and I think it has to be a Flash issue. If you pull up their in flight URL the add for their Visa card plays all the time with sound and such. You can page through all the movies but the screen "greys out" when you try to play the movie. It is the only reason I take my Android tablet on the plane that I'd like to leave home because it plays all the time on it. If you send an email to United support you will get a cut and paste of the same message they've sent thousands of times. It is so frustrating because it may work for a few weeks--something gets updated, and it goes to the grey screen. I've not seen one consistent fix. I have tried Chrome, Edge, Explorer, etc. I may nee to try Firefox on my next flight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just spent an hour trying to get a browser to revert back to ver. 29. The only one I was able to succeed with was firefox, but my firefox version is also 'to new', currently version 72. For the record, here is the link to united's supported devices chart (down at the bottom in a drop down menu) http://unitedprivatescreening.com/personaldevices. Firefox is clearly limited to version 51 and in the footnotes it specifies flash player prior to version 30. I am flying united tomorrow and will be happy to screenshot any issues I have, as I plan to try Chrome and Internet Explorer as well, but as these users have mentioned I too have experienced these issues before (last year and earlier). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines