Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FlashInstall.log Clean Install

Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at instructions for clean FlashPlayer install (Windows 7 64-bit), I am slightly confused. The process of removing NPAPPI (to allow users to upgrade to Firefox 53 from version 52.1.0) means I also have to remove Flash ActiveX via the uninstaller tool.

How do I do a clean install of Flash Player - Windows?

Uninstall Flash Player for Windows

While the KB article and chris.campbell 's video state to delete all files including the .log files. chris.campbell 's post (below the video) states not to delete the FlashInstall.log file when doing a clean install.

So do I delete the FlashInstall.log or not? What is the danger of deleting the .log file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

While the FlashInstall.log file is created if it doesn't exist, it's preferred to not delete the file as it contains historical data which is useful when troubleshooting certain installation issues.  If the file is deleted this data is lost, thus making troubleshooting certain installation issues more difficult.  The FAQ was updated to include the note not to delete the FlashInstall.log file after the video was produced.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

FlashInstall.log is a log file that tracks and reports the status of the Flash Player installation process. There is no harm in deleting the file as a new file will be created on fresh installation of flash player.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the FlashInstall.log file is created if it doesn't exist, it's preferred to not delete the file as it contains historical data which is useful when troubleshooting certain installation issues.  If the file is deleted this data is lost, thus making troubleshooting certain installation issues more difficult.  The FAQ was updated to include the note not to delete the FlashInstall.log file after the video was produced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okidoke, thank you. I was wondering as I had followed the KB and video for one computer at the time of posting, and had already installed the latest version of Flash ActiveX (everything successful as far as I can tell).

So in the future, I shall leave the .log file in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines