• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flashplayer 32ppau ha repeatedly installs

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For several weeks now I get a notice to update flashplayer.  I am directed to the website, download and then close out.  I go to downloads page activate download and choose run.  Installation is complete.  A few days later I get another notification...same thing over and over.  Same file over and over.  I could just ignore but if I do it will automatically install after 45 days and will install Mcafee which I DO NOT WANT.  Windows 10 OS Firefox browser...This needs to stop!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have more than one Flash Player type installed (Flash Player for different browsers) and one of those is the prompting for installation.

1. Please to go Control Panel\All Control Panel Items.
  2. Click on Flash Player to launch the Flash Player Settings Manager
  3. Go to the Updates tab.
  4. Post a screenshot of the Updates tab.

I could just ignore but if I do it will automatically install after 45 days and will install Mcafee which I DO NOT WANT

Third party offerings are only available from the Flash Player downloads page.  No third party offering will install via Flash Player Background updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the screenshot.  Both of those are the most recent version of Flash Player, so it's odd that you keep getting prompted to install Flash Player.

The NPAPI Plugi-In is for Firefox and the PPAPI Plug-In is for Chromium-based browsers (e.g. Chrome, Opera).  They aren't interchangeable.  If you only use Chrome, there is no need to install the PPAPI Plug-In separately as Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and releases updates to the embedded version.

I would perform a complete uninstall of Flash Player, reboot the system, then install Flash Player NPAPI plugin for Firefox, in the following order:

1. Download the uninstaller
  2. Download the NPAPI Plug-in installer (using Firefox, go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer)
  3. Close all browsers and apps that may use Flash Player
  4. Run the uninstaller downloaded in step 1
  5. Reboot the machine
  6. Run the NPAPI Plug-In installer downloaded in step 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if the notice is a fake. This is common. If you give in and follow a link, you get a virus or worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a couple things going on here, so I'd like to unpack that one by one.

When people are complaining about getting McAfee with no opportunity to opt out, it's usually one of a couple things:

1. They're getting Flash Player from somewhere else, like their browser's built-in add-on manager, and its linking to the binary that includes McAfee instead of redirecting you to our product download center, which would provide you the correct payload.

2. They're coming to our site and not opting out of the the McAfee install OR they're running a plug-in that modifies our running code and breaks the designed behavior.  Ad-blockers, no-script or anti-tracking plugins occasionally do this.

3. They're going to a malware distribution site, and someone has repackaged Flash Player as their own distributable, along with a malicious payload, so they're getting all of our stuff, plus whatever they bundled.  In this instance, the code signing signature would either fail (and you'd have to blow past an important security dialog to do in the install), or it's valid, but wasn't signed by Adobe.  Validating the code signing certificate varies by operating system, but a quick google search should point you in the right direction.

When people are getting prompted to install every few days:

1. It could be that one of the config files for the updater has been damaged.  You might want to check the disk for errors, then do an uninstall/reinstall of Flash Player to clear that up.

Uninstall Flash Player - Mac:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Uninstall Flash Player - Windows:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

2. Most major browsers have blocked Flash by default, which breaks long-standing assumed behavior about Flash Player being detectable from JavaScript when a webpage loads.  That means that all of that code that was put into the world *before* browsers made that change is probably making an assumption that "if Flash is not detectable, it's not installed".  This leads to a lot of erroneous "hey, you need to update/install Flash" messages being thrown at people.

The browser folks by and large have wired things in so that when you click those update links (and they go to Adobe), they interpret that as a signal that you want to run Flash content, and will usually present the allow dialog.  That said, it's really hard to write generic solutions that work for every single one of the millions/billions of websites in the world, so it doesn't always work perfectly, and varies by browser (having some flexibility about what browser you use during this big transition period is probably smart).

3. They're not taking automatic updates.  This means that you're slow to get updates to critical security patches.  The majority of the ~2 billion+ users opted into automatic updates launch and pick up patches within 48 hours of us making them available.  This is important, because line in immunology, herd immunity with software is important for the health of the network.  We actually forego the revenue opportunity associated with presenting you with a bundled offer if you opt into automatic updates.  If you don't want to get bothered about updates, and you don't want to get McAfee bundled with it, just opt into automatic updates.  Having an update break your favorite website is unlikely, but way better than having to recover from identity theft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines