Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with .bct files.

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

Well, I like to play Flash based games. I always used to download the .swf files and everything was alright. But today, I downloaded a game that came in a .bct extension, and also came with a file called "Bct.Player.0.5.exe". This file is supposed to play the game, but my Avast Antivirus keeps telling me it has 2 viruses called "Win32:Malware Gen" and "IDP.Generic,fa6fe1136ae3.3.2"... I'm too afraid to actually open the file. I'm not sure if this is the right place to be publishing this, but it is the one I found the most appropriate. So, I'd like to know what are .bct files (I searched for them and found they are actually associated with Adobe products) and how to play them, if it is possible and I'm not just getting scammed.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to https://fileinfo.com/extension/bct  .bct files are Adobe Bridge files.  Adobe Bridge is a digital asset management software (see Digital asset management software | Download free Adobe Bridge CC trial for more information. .bct files are not Flash Player related, so it wouldn't be a Flash Player game file.

No idea what Bct.Player.0.5.exe is, but if your anti-virus is flagging it as a virus, it may very well be.  Personally, I wouldn't run the installer file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Long story short, it's easier to trick you into running a malicious installer than it is to install malware on a system without your authorization.  In general, unless you're getting an executable directly from a software author that you trust, you shouldn't run it.

If you're downloading executables from torrents, you should be doubly careful.  I'd definitely trust your Antivirus, and there are online services like VirusTotal that will scan an executable against a large body of antivirus tools for free.

This seems super sketchy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines