• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I hack Abobe Flash Player *STUPID* local storage default so it will always be 'Unlimited'?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my browser set to delete *all* cookies when I close the browser and it seems consequent to that I loose all my 'local storage' settings on all the player sites.  Consequently, I have to manualy reset each time I visit the sites.  It would be so nice (and so simple) to have a simple default preference setting, instead of a non-user accessible fixed and limited storage value.  In the meantime, can anyone suggest where I might look to hack the player default value?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[SOLVED]

This is a user 'hack' and thus *NOT CERTIFIED BY ADOBE* or any close affiliates!!!

This procedure also requires hacking a binary file so you need a hex editor.

1.  Use your browser "Clear Recent History" options to delete all cookies, site preferences, cache, etc from your browsing history and *close* your browser.

2.  Use Windows "My Computer" to browse your local file system to this path:

%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\

3.  Use a suitable Hex Editor to open and hack the 'settings.sol' file.  I use a free editor called "WinVI".

( If you need it:  http://www.winvi.de/ )

4.  Go to the bottom of that 'settings.sol' file and look for 'defaultklimit'.  The hex line should look like this:

64 65 66 61  75 6c 74 6b  6c 69 6d 69  74 00 40 59          defaultklimit.@Y

5.  Very very carefully edit the '40' to new '60' value so your line now looks like this:

64 65 66 61  75 6c 74 6b  6c 69 6d 69  74 00 c0 00          defaultklimit. À

6.  Double check to make sure the file size did not change during the edit in step 5.  If it did then exit out without saving, come back in and try again.  When you are sure your file size did not change after the edit, then save and exit out of the Hex Editor.

You should now have a new 'unliminted' storage default that remains even after browser option to clear all cache, site preferences, cookies, etc.

If you totally mess up the file, DON'T PANIC.  Just delete the 'settings.sol' file and Flash Player will create a new file to replace it -- no worries, but do keep in mind this is a user 'hack' and thus *NOT CERTIFIED BY ADOBE* or any close affiliates!!!

If you use Linux, Mac or other OS then you might check this page to learn the location of that 'settings.sol' file:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_cookie

Message was edited by: Pat Willener

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting your solution; I am sure that this will be useful for other users with the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[CORRECTION TO ORIGINAL POST]

After further review of my hack I learned it is essentially correct except for replacement values shown in step 5.  Please substitute instructions in step 5 as follows:

5.  Very very carefully edit the '40 59' to new 'c0 00' value so your line now looks like this:

64 65 66 61  75 6c 74 6b  6c 69 6d 69  74 00 c0 00          defaultklimit. À

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have modified your earlier post with this correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for editing my original post Pat.  Wanted to do that myself but didn't see the option.  We missed a couple items in our edit though:

You missed this part >>  ... edit the '40 59' to new 'c0 00'

And following the 'c0', I missed underline on '00' >>   ... c0 00

It is important to edit both byte values (for those who know what a byte is).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone using chrome based "Comodo Dragon", I found the sol file on my XP box here:

C:\Program Files\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\WritableRoot\#SharedObjects\KSN3BNJV\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol

No real experience with Comodo Dragon to speak of but I expect that folder following immediately after #SharedObjects would likely be different for each computer and/or user, and/or each time you clear the cash so may not render permanent results but working fine for me so far.  I just edited that file using the same recipe from my original post and viola!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines