• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop installation of UNWANTED McAfee during Flash update?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2016 Apr 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bad enough that Firefox blocks Flash every time Flash updates - but Adobe seems to think I want McAfee installed by default during its update installation. UNACCEPTABLE! I've yet to find a way to prevent it.(And now there's also something called True Key installed? What is this crap that I've NOT OK'd?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 24, 2016 Apr 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Offline installers , they do not have that bloatware. they can be found here at the bottom of the page, is the only way to not deal with it.

Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier

If you need a simple solution to remove the McAfee stuff, click on my profile on here and look at the links specifically the sourceforge link, then choose browse all files. You will find something that will completely remove it and all stray files related to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The optional offer displays in the middle of the page.  if you use ad-blockers they will hide the offer.

Capture.JPG

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually get mixed results with my ad blocker. Sometimes I see it, and others times i do not.

I did not see it so I disable ad blocker, opened a private browsing window , and seen the offer, I downloaded the stub when i could not see the two offers and never got the additional pup installs with adblocker turned on.

I then cleared cookies from adobe and enable ad blocker, restarted browser, and then seen the offers to install them.

I am wondering if this is a cookie thing as well?

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for your help. Here are further details in response... I am not running a specific ad-blocker. Since I first posed this 'rant' and my latest repeat of it, I installed AVG 'free' edition, which apparently & interestingly prevented McAfee from installing (in previous instances,I simply went to my Uninstall option to rid myself of it - this time it was nowhere to be found). MS True Key was another unwanted add-on, which I've apparently managed to uninstall in the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sick and tired of Adobe and its stupid unwanted McAfee installations. I have protection software that is much better than McAfee.

Because McAfee interferes with installed antivirus software, sometimes I will go for a year without installing an update. Also, I don't have time to go through all the machinations of uninstalling McAfee. Often I just abandon a web page, especially an advertisement, rather than having to deal with giving permission to run Flash. Why does Adobe do this when everyone hates it so much?

This whole thing make me very distrustful of Adobe generally as a software provider. If they have to resort to this subterfuge, what else are they doing secretly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a checkbox against Mcafee offering. You can deselect the same and proceed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I UNCHECKED the box and McAfee installed anyway. You should make it opt in--not opt out! I choose what security I want and adobe should not interfere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines