• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I update/Install a new version of Adobe Flash Player?

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Recently, something came up and I needed to update my Adobe Flash Player in order for me to have access to a certain Adobe Connect room. So, I go and I try to install Adobe Flash Player. But, when I do, it claims that I already have Adobe Flash Player on my Internet Explorer 11, and that I do not need to install it. So, I try to find out which version of Flash that I have. I have version 11.8.800.133. But, in order to gain access to the Adobe Connect room, I need at least version 13.0.0.0. So, I try to update it. But, every time I try to update it, it says there is no need to because I already have it installed on my Internet Explorer 11. I try to uninstall and reinstall, but it says I do not have permission to delete the files, and when I run the uninstaller, Flash is still on my PC. So, I cannot update it, uninstall it, or reinstall it, and I do not know what to do. I need it for my Internet Explorer 11, but I cannot get it to work for some reason. I really need help! I need this figured out by tomorrow, and I am out of ideas. I have a Windows 8.1 Desktop, and it is a 64 bit. If you need any other information I can give it to you, I just really need some help. Thank you in advance if you can help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As of Windows 8, Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE (and Edge in Win 10) and all updates are distributed by Microsoft via Windows update.  Please run Windows Update to update Flash Player for IE.  Alternatively, a link to the download is posted at the bottom of the Flash Player issues on Windows 8  page.  More information on the latest update is available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018483/security-update-for-adobe-flash-player-april-11-201...

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have clicked on this before, and a window saying Windows Update Standalone Installer pops up. It says it is searching for updates on this computer, and shows a loading bar. The last time I tried it, the loading took forever and eventually I had to turn off my PC because it took so long and nothing came out of it. So, how long does it usually take? And is it suppose to take this long? Or is something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like something's wrong with Windows Update on your system.  That's something you would need to contact Microsoft about. If you've not been able to run Windows Update for some time you would be missing a number of updates (security and otherwise) you're missing quite a few updates as Microsoft releases updates every second Tuesday of the month.

Are you able to install the update posted at the bottom of Flash Player issues on Windows 8 ?  This is Microsoft's Flash Player for IE standalone installer that doesn't require running Windows Update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the page that you linked and clicked on the Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1, and the same window popped up as before, and it is still stuck on the loading screen. Would I need to contact Microsoft support in order to install the missing updates? And how can I tell which updates I need? Just by going to the website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Would I need to contact Microsoft support in order to install the missing updates?

Yes. Updates are distributed by Microsoft.  If Windows Update service is not functioning correctly you would need to contact Microsoft.

And how can I tell which updates I need?

This depends on when the last time Windows Update ran successfully on your system.  Microsoft releases updates and security fixes on the second Tuesday of the month.  If it's been a while since you were able to run Windows Update you are most likely missing a significant amount of updates.

Just by going to the website?

I'm not sure which website you are referring to.

Microsoft's support site is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us   when contacting them state that Windows Update is not functioning correctly on your system and describe what happens when you run Windows Update.  More detail is better than less detail.  I recommend not calling out Flash Player updates specifically, because they may direct you back here, and we'll just direct you back to Microsoft since there's an issue with the Windows Update service on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines